View Full Version : Programmable Remote Focus

Baris Ustun
September 29th, 2010, 08:56 AM
As a hobbyist I've been dealing with electronics and videography. I am about to build a device, which I called programmable remote focus. I am looking forward to hear feedbacks from those who are interested and experienced with these kind of devices.

In manual control mode, you turn a knob to turn the motor . The sensitivity of the motor to the knob movement can be adjusted. for example 10 degrees of knob turn can produce 2 degrees of motor turn, or 20 degrees of motor turn, depending on the scale factor.

In program mode you can specify 3 different motion by identifying the turn amount, direction and speed of the motion. After defining the motion, you start it just by pushing the button.

Wireless is 2.4 GHz.

The mount of the motor to the camera is a DIY solution. I am working on a special mount design which will be adaptable to the rod systems.

Also I will build another version of this, with a different type of motor to diminish the noise for shooting in very quiet environments.

I plan to make a few other of these in the range of 600-800$.

Here is the link to my video:

remote focus & canon 550D on Vimeo

Peter Kay
February 10th, 2013, 07:26 AM
How did you get on with this project?

Did you get to make and sell any?

I am interested, but your quoted price needs to come way down to compete with commercially available systems. Currently about $500 for more advanced systems with memory points ect.!!

Wireless Mnemonic Follow Focus for DSLR RIG Video | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Mnemonic-Follow-Focus-for-DSLR-RIG-Video-/330833761315?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item4d073a9423&_uhb=1)

Pete