View Full Version : What if Wireless Firewire...Or not?

Brandon Tubek
July 30th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Does anyone know if/and when wireless firewire will come about? My goal is to transmit wireless firewire within the next 2 years, but that is wishful thinking now isn't it?! What I would like to be able to do is transmit from my AG-DVX100a to my DVRACK enabled laptop while my DVX is on a stedicam about 15-30 feet away (I also have been transmitting wirelessly all of my TelePrompter signals, analog video signals, and wireless mic signals to/from the cam on the stedi.) Any ideas or insight as to when or if a firewire technology like this will ever be out? Thanks Much!

Nathan Chaszeyka
July 30th, 2005, 12:27 PM
But isn't bluetooth technology taking us in that direction?

Troy Tiscareno
August 1st, 2005, 09:08 AM
FireWire (IEEE 1394) data rates are far, far in excess of the fastest common wireless technology (802.11g), much less Bluetooth. And even assuming we had a wireless standard that fast, that doesn't mean that it will integrate with FireWire well enough to replicate a wired FireWire connection.

In other words, don't hold your breath.

-Troy

Mark Sloan
August 1st, 2005, 02:32 PM
Wireless firewire was "finalized" in May of last year. They expected some products by the end of 2004, but it really isn't happening. Just for some perspective, USB was out for a long time but didn't take off until Apple came out with the iMac and it was USB only. Wireless USB 480 has been approved as well, so expect to see some fighting in the future... although wireless firewire is designed to piggyback the current 1394 protocol and make it easier for current manufacturers (like camera companies) that use FW to get to wireless.

Imran Zaidi
August 2nd, 2005, 11:55 AM
Just a small correction... I used to be a computer assembly tech back then, and USB became standard feature on motherboards of the computers I put together long before the iMacs were the thing. The change actually happened when Windows updated and properly supported the hot-swappable promise of USB. But yes Macs supported the technology sooner, same with Firewire, but their market share never drove vendors very far.

Not that it really matters anyway... :)

Mark Sloan
August 2nd, 2005, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I know, I said "USB was out for a long time but didn't take off until"... I didn't mean to imply only the spec was out, but that there weren't many products until the iMac drove the market and then proper drivers appeared for PCs. But I guess no one really knows what caused what... In the end, will we see wireless firewire soon? Not soon, but at least the spec is out there... but manufacturers of consumer electronic devices are pretty warry of adding any kind of cost to their products that would eat into their profits... so we'll just have to wait and see.

Robert Mann Z.
August 2nd, 2005, 12:41 PM
not so sure i would feel comfortable blasting anymore micorwaves out of my camera then i already have to, i could just feel tumors growing in my body everytime i walk by a cell store

Ron Johnson
August 3rd, 2005, 11:49 AM
Though not as elegant as pure wireless, there are products that convert USB and Firewire protocol to an optical format for transmission over fiber optic cables - this allows for a much increased working distance than the wired verisons of either. The hardware is referred to as an optical repeater.

Not inexpensive!

rj