View Full Version : Best Price for Blank Bluray Disks

Greg Clark
October 8th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I see that Taiyo Yuden/JVC doesn't make blank bluray disks. Which brands are you using that burn consistently at the best price?

Markus Klatt
October 8th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Verbatim 6x BD-R

Randall Leong
October 8th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Verbatim 6x BD-R

Speaking of that particular Verbatim, in my country a lot of resellers and retailers still stock the older 4x version and don't stock any of the newer 6x version at all. The only place locally that I could find 6x Verbatim BD-Rs is Best Buy.

Markus Klatt
October 9th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Try to get this

B002OSXRM4 (10 pieces printable)
or this
B002OSXRLU (5 pieces normal)

at your amazon. That's where I buy these discs from.

Randall Leong
October 10th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Try to get this

B002OSXRM4 (10 pieces printable)
or this
B002OSXRLU (5 pieces normal)

at your amazon. That's where I buy these discs from.

I checked. Neither of those part numbers is officially available here in the U.S. And Amazon in the U.S. can only stock what Verbatim officially distributes.

Here in the U.S., the only 6x normal Verbatim BD-Rs officially available are single-disc jewel-case packs and 10-packs. The inkjet printable BD-Rs are not available in 6x at all here in the U.S. And the thermal printable 6x BD-Rs are available here only in a 50-pack. As far as Amazon U.S. is concerned, it carries only the 10-pack normal at the 6x rating. All of the other SL Verbatim BD-Rs carried at Amazon USA are only 4x-rated.

Locally, besides Best Buy (which does stock the 6x Verbatim BD-Rs in 10-packs), Office Max and Micro Center carry only the older 4x discs. And the one Fry's in my area does not carry the standard Verbatim BD-Rs at all - but it carries the LTH discs from that brand instead. Finally, Office Depot does not carry Verbatim at all.

And I did not include BD-R DL discs in this post. Verbatim North America officially distributes BD-R DL media with 2x and 6x speed ratings.

Richard Lucas
October 13th, 2010, 07:32 PM
The higher speed Verbatims might still be available from B&H. I'd get printable blanks from them but I haven't bought any in a few months. Watch the pricing/packaging carefully. Different packaging/quantities used to have wildly different per unit costs.

Ross Peterson
October 22nd, 2010, 04:32 PM
Microcenter.com has Windata BD-R's 10 for $9.95 and they work for me for video.

Free in store pickup if you're near a Microcenter store.

Robert M Wright
October 23rd, 2010, 01:31 PM
I think Newegg has spindles of 20 Verbatim 2X LTH BD-R on sale for about $25 right now with free shipping.

Randall Leong
October 23rd, 2010, 05:17 PM
I think Newegg has spindles of 20 Verbatim 2X LTH BD-R on sale for about $25 right now with free shipping.

Be advised that not all BD-R burners and standalone Blu-ray players support LTH discs. In fact, I have had some recent standalone Blu-ray players that can properly play back conventional ("HTL") BD-Rs actually choke on LTH discs: Either the playback from the LTH discs stutter significantly or those very discs refuse to even play back at all on those particular players.

Taky Cheung
October 28th, 2010, 12:40 AM
I used Verbatim blank Bluray before. However, they don't have hub printing BD.. now I'm using TDK and they work great.. price is good too

L.A. Color Blog (http://lacolorshop.com/blog/?TDK-BluRay-Blank-Media)

Randall Leong
October 28th, 2010, 12:44 AM
I used Verbatim blank Bluray before. However, they don't have hub printing BD.. now I'm using TDK and they work great.. price is good too

L.A. Color Blog (http://lacolorshop.com/blog/?TDK-BluRay-Blank-Media)

You may have gotten some of the last batches of TDK-branded media with TDK stampers. Much TDK-branded BD-R media sold nowadays use Ritek-manufactured media with Ritek stampers. (This is because TDK is now under the same corporate umbrella as Imation and Memorex.) Those Ritek-made BD-Rs are the ones whose quality is very inconsistent from batch to batch.