View Full Version : Where to buy GL1 (Other than eBay)

Gilbert Labossiere
August 1st, 2005, 11:48 AM
Are there any companies that still sell GL1s or other older mini DV 3 cccd camcorders?

I am looking for a really cheap mini DV 3 cccd camera but don't want to do the eBay thing.

It's mostly for home use right now.

Any alternatives?

Thanks.

G

Mathieu Ghekiere
August 1st, 2005, 01:21 PM
If you don't want Ebay, but still want to go second hand, you can try these boards.
You have the Private Classifieds boards, where people sell their material, you can put a demand there, if someone has one he or she wants to sell.

Good luck!

BTW: you still have the sponsors of this site, very good dealers who know what they sell. Chris selected only the best for this site. I think you can still get the GL2 at B&H.
And there is a rebate on it, I think!

PS: If it's only for home use, do you mean home movies? Otherwise, you can try for example the GS400 from Panasonic, a pretty cheap but decent 3CCD camcorder.

Brent Ray
August 1st, 2005, 02:19 PM
I did a quick google search and found this. (I can't verify the credibility of this retailer however)

http://www.prestigecamera.com/product.asp?id=cngl2&itemname=Canon%20GL1%20%20Mini%20DV%20Camcorder&discontinued=1

They also still have the listing on amazon.com. Although they don't sell them new, sometimes you can find someone selling one used on the site.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000507JI/qid=1122927197/sr=8-18/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i14_xgl23/002-8077403-2417635?v=glance&s=photo&n=507846

Chris Hurd
August 1st, 2005, 03:44 PM
As has been suggested, with or without of Ebay, your best bet is to place a "want to buy" ad in our Private Classifieds forum. There are no "new" GL1 camcorders anymore; those were all sold out long ago. Any camera store that claims to have one might not actually be an authorized Canon dealer, so do some careful research before you buy.

For what it's worth, any of the new model Canon Optura 1CCD camcorders will easily outperform an older GL1. The newer Optura, from the model Xi forward, has an RGB color filter which emulates the 3CCD look. Plus you get manual audio control and native 16:9, all for well under $1000 brand new.

Mathieu Ghekiere
August 1st, 2005, 05:18 PM
Chris, are these new optura's really that good?
Don't you have more detail in your picture with a GL1?

And what about manual image control?
Just curious, I keep hearing many great things about these opturas.

James Bright
August 1st, 2005, 05:19 PM
Factory refurbished option in the ebay looks good.

Gilbert Labossiere
August 3rd, 2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks everyone!