View Full Version : DVC19 - Mugurel Dragusin - Intercutor

Mugurel Dragusin
October 25th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Well, this one was fun indeed! Especially after being stuck on the wall for the last few ones.

As usual, I went the subtle route, as I don't favor the blunt usage of the theme (in this case that could be a masked person doing something) but that's just me. Whether it will matter on judging (in a negative way) I don't know but facts are facts and I shall present them as such: this was set-up, shot, edited, uploaded in a total time of 3 hours. At some point, I am holding the camera and the lights at the same time, while doing some "acting" yet everything came out naturally to me, each shot, was just in my mind and got to it :) It helped that I knew what I want the finished project to look like therefore was able to identify the needed shots.

On symbolism side, the "Masks" theme is being used at several levels including the overall construction of the story, which reveals itself akin to removing of a mask. Nah, that's all you get, you gotta watch it :)

Technically speaking, it was a Canon 550D, Canon 50mm F1.8 II lens, some variable ND. Speaking of variable ND, the fading was done by means of variable ND rather than in post, much fun doing it while pulling focus at the same time. Lighting, some cool 22w LED flashlights, 3 of them, where one was blue. I favor the use of some blue light. Incredibly bright for their size, price ($10 each) and what not. It also allows to change its focus so you can have a well defined spot. Once the rush gets done, will set some interview shots using them and post samples so you get an idea.

What else...just enjoy watching and if you dare to convince yourself to vote for it, thanks in advance, big mistake :P

Of course, your feedback is very much appreciated, including the one who hits right in my ego, go ahead! :)

Lorinda Norton
October 25th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Of course, your feedback is very much appreciated, including the one who hits right in my ego, go ahead! :)
Ha! You are more brave than I am.

Those who love to ferret out the films before they're posted--please wait until tomorrow to offer feedback, okay? Thanks. :)

Bruce Foreman
October 26th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I really liked the way you used shallow focus, lighting effect, and created visuals that led to a very sinister feel. It really looked like someone was in for a very bad day!

You produced a short with a lot of imagination and compelled the viewer to stay with you until you delivered the "twist".

Very well done! I had to watch this one several times (it was that compelling).

You're putting that 550D to very good use! Tremendous camera for the price, isn't it?

Marc Burleigh
October 26th, 2010, 11:24 AM
You got me in right away with the rich imagery, the shallow focus, the moody light from the flashlights -- and especially the music, which created a good mood.

I was intrigued to see where you would go. It looked as professional as anything the CSI series would throw out there. So I guess I was kind of disappointed when it was a cut-out paper mask at the end. I was watching intently up to then, figuring the sort of tools at use meant an operation involving both something hard and inanimate, and some sort of biology. Macabre, maybe, but I had visions of a sinister surgeon fitting a permanent and terrifying mask of some sort to a terrified victim. Or something.

You did say you wanted to avoid a "blunt usage" of the theme, so I guess this is just my reaction after watching so many more conventional movies.

In any case, I can only comment as a spectator and a film buff. On a technical level, I learned a couple of things from you -- particularly the cool lighting and the way you intercut and pulled focus to heighten tension.

Where is the music from, by the way?

Mugurel Dragusin
October 26th, 2010, 11:38 AM
@Bruce: Certainly! Love the 550D (was aiming for 5D before but once 550D came up, it was THE one I wanted as for video it won't be so shallow like the 5D, on par with 35mm film which is where I want it to be and you can't beat the price. Thank you for the feedback :)

@Marc: Now that's quite a flattery; CSI. Sorry for the disappointment though :P
I have actually spend an hour looking for the right music which I have purchased the right from audiojungle for $20, pretty good deal as it has a few tracks. The licensing is quite bad for more serious work in terms of re-using it but not an issue here.

Chris Barcellos
October 26th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Visually stunning, interesting lighting techniques. Camera work is great. Kept me interested throughout.

Henry Williams
October 26th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I was really blown away by the look of this. A really strong visual statement with a great sense of style...

Lorinda Norton
October 26th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Mugurel, from a technical standpoint this film is outstanding. Your camera angles and techniques, lighting--everything you employed worked. Loved the attention to detail with the beads of sweat on your brow, too.

From a storytelling aspect I think this film is outstanding, as well...until the end. I'm with Marc--because of all the tools used the payoff was kind of a letdown. I was not hoping for anything grisly; actually, I don't know what I was hoping for. But when I saw the scissors cutting the paper and then the simplicity of the mask I thought, "Wait a minute, that didn't require all those tools," and it took me right out of the story.

That said, I am, as Henry stated, so "blown away" by the visuals you created that my complaint with the ending disappeared on repeat viewings. VERY well done.

Mugurel Dragusin
October 27th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Thank you Henry!

@Lorinda: This whole thing revolves around utmost simplicity. If will be the case, "a making of" shall be produced or at least some pictures with the "set" and employed tricks. Thank you for the input as well!

Mitchell Stookey
October 28th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Mugurel what a great entry! There are some STUNNING images in your short! I loved your use of focus and close-up, and the shot of you putting on the gloves is just completely beautiful. You told a story using only yourself and some tools and that is commendable. You had me on hook and line, but echoing some other comments I just didn't buy all the effort for such a simple paper mask, and I realize that is a very clear choice so it's just our differences. But you still did such a commendable job on the build-up, suspense and establishing that longing to know what it was — people can't be let down if you didn't lift them up anywhere! So great job, it's not the perfect ending for me but it might be for you. Great work.

Mugurel Dragusin
October 28th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I just didn't buy all the effort for such a simple paper mask, and I realize that is a very clear choice so it's just our differences.

Thank you for your kind comments Mitchell! Perhaps your actor with that creepy mask can find some body for me to hack on and provide a proper ending :)

Thanks again!