View Full Version : DV Info - Mobile site

Laurence Janus
November 4th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Would it be possible to add a mobile/smartphone friendly version of this forum?
I often read the forum on the train to work on my HTC Magic and it would be great to have something like the style in the link below as an option.

A Very Lightweight Style for Small Screen Devices (cell phone/iphone/mobile/android) - vBulletin.org Forum (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=249277)

Yoshiko Okada
November 5th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Do you want a mobile site for this forum like youtube?

I envy at your good smartphone, HTC.
Which does your phone have Android 2.1 or 2.2?
I know Android has a convenient application for editing videos.
Are you using it usually?

Laurence Janus
November 10th, 2010, 12:48 AM
This thread is not for chat. If you want to talk about Android applications please do it in the correct forum.

Chris Hurd
November 10th, 2010, 08:21 AM
It seems like there's always too much to do
and never enough time, but a mobile version
of the site friendly to both Android and iPhone
is definitely a priority. It's just a matter of finding
the right solution. Thanks,

Laurence Janus
November 16th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Thank you. I hope Santa brings you a lot of extra time for Christmas!

David Knaggs
November 17th, 2010, 07:37 PM
My two cents:

Please DON'T have a mobile version of DV Info for the iPhone. The iPhone has a fully fledged web browser, Safari, and I enjoy accessing full websites with it whenever I am out of town or away from a computer. I absolutely loathe the fact that the Melbourne Age website changed their RealFooty pages (Australian Rules football news and results) to a compulsory "mobile version". Whereas I'd previously enjoyed the full web pages on Safari, I'm now forced to endure their cruddy, watered-down "mobile version". It's enforced on you - take it or leave it. So I've left it.

At least the Formula One site asks you at the beginning whether you would prefer the mobile version or the fully-fledged version. Something like that for DV Info would be okay (a choice). But not an enforced "dumbed-down" version.

Sherif Choudhry
November 20th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Sorry but disagree with previous poster as the iPhone screen is too small for Safari browsing, though on my iPAD its gorgeous, but mobile screeens are too small. So an iPhone app for dvinfo would be great for me! :-)

Jordan Nash
November 30th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Yes, please see if you can provide a mobile-friendly form of this website. m.dvinfo.net would work for me. It is frustrating to have to zoom and scroll around a lot of unneeded graphics to get at the text content. A simplified layout, like what is generally used for printing stylesheets, would work fine.

Justin Benn
January 15th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Dear dvinfo.net,

Please will you consider making your forum available for integration into my iPhone forum reading app, Tapatalk. It's faster than web-browsing, it has all my forums accounts in one place, and the screen formatting is much friendlier on the eyes than iPhone Safari or Atomic Browser. And for the dvinfo.net, it's FREE!

This must read like an ad but I assure you it's not. I have come to use my iPhone more than my computer for forum reading wherever I go since using this app and would really love to be able to easily read, access and upload to dvinfo.net too. It makes engaging with large forums like this one far more manageable on the move.

Pretty please?

Justin.

Chris Hurd
January 15th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Happy to report some progress here... I've found our mobile app solution and
it'll be available pretty soon. Our newsletter subscribers will be the first to hear
about it when it's ready. We're not going to use Tapatalk, because even though
it's offered free to me, the fact is that the user app costs money (only $2.99, but
still...). The solution we're going to use will be custom-branded for DV Info Net
only, so that we're not lost in a sea of other forum sites, and best of all, it'll
have a *free* full-version app for iPhone and Android.

Update for David K.: of course it'll be a selectable skin and not "forced" onto anyone.

To be among the first to be notified about the DVi mobile app, sign up for our
newsletter (if you're not a subscriber already) at this link: Newsletter at DVInfo.net (http://www.dvinfo.net/newsletter)

Justin Benn
January 15th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear about Tapatalk (which I'm enjoying) but glad to hear of an alternative. As I'm already subscribed to the newsletter, I look forwarding to the launch of your app soon.

Cheers!

Brian Parker
May 6th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I wonder if you are open to the idea of registering this fourm on the Tapatalk network. I spend so much time on here it would be nice to be able to use the nice interface on the tapatalk android app. I checked and this underlying forum software is supported by their service.

Chris Hurd
May 6th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Just to repeat myself from earlier...

Happy to report some progress here... I've found our mobile app solution and
it'll be available pretty soon. Our newsletter subscribers will be the first to hear
about it when it's ready. We're not going to use Tapatalk, because even though
it's offered free to me, the fact is that the user app costs money (only $2.99, but
still...). The solution we're going to use will be custom-branded for DV Info Net
only, so that we're not lost in a sea of other forum sites, and best of all, it'll
have a *free* full-version app for iPhone and Android.

Update for David K.: of course it'll be a selectable skin and not "forced" onto anyone.

To be among the first to be notified about the DVi mobile app, sign up for our
newsletter (if you're not a subscriber already) at this link: Newsletter at DVInfo.net (http://www.dvinfo.net/newsletter)

It's late, but definitely on the way.

Brian Parker
May 6th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I see. Whilst I welcome a dedicated app, can I ask what the harm would be in also registering your site on the Tapatalk network. If it is just a matter of registering, it wouldn't be labour intensive for you in any way, and it would give your users the option of how they want to browse your forums. I personally would really like to group all my regular forums into one app if possible.

Chris Hurd
May 6th, 2011, 02:23 PM
There are three reasons why we're not going to use Tapatalk:

1. Their viewing app costs money. Our viewing app will be a free download to everyone.

2. We don't want to be lost in a sea of other forum sites in their directory. We prefer to stand on our own.

3. Tapatalk is based overseas; I have tighter coordination and communication with our
developer here in the U.S. and right now I prefer to spend money on a U.S. business
(which is more expensive but worth it to me personally in the long run).

I realize that we have some folks who spend a lot of time on other forum sites.
That's their business, but that's not the audience I'm catering to. Instead, there
are some folks who call DVi their first home and who don't browse other forum
sites so much. That's my main audience and that's why we're going to have a
standalone app -- one that's free to everybody, whether they're one of our key
members or not. Hope this helps,

Laurence Janus
May 6th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Thank you for your all your work on this Mr Hurd!

Brian Parker
July 11th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Any progress on the mobile app?

Other forum moderators were able to get their forums setup within minutes of me raising the idea of Tapatalk support and I have been happily browsing and contributing to their forums every morning on my way to work ever since.

Chris Hurd
July 11th, 2011, 10:21 PM
To repeat -- there are three reasons why we're not going to use Tapatalk:

1. Their viewing app costs money. Our viewing app will be a free download to everyone.

2. We don't want to be lost in a sea of other forum sites in their directory. We prefer to stand on our own.

3. Tapatalk is based overseas; I have tighter coordination and communication with our
developer here in the U.S. and right now I prefer to spend money on a U.S. business
(which is more expensive but worth it to me personally in the long run).

I realize that we have some folks who spend a lot of time on other forum sites.
That's their business, but that's not the audience I'm catering to. Instead, there
are some folks who call DVi their first home and who don't browse other forum
sites so much. That's my main audience and that's why we're going to have a
standalone app -- one that's free to everybody, whether they're one of our key
members or not.

It's been pretty busy around here from an administrative standpoint ever since NAB,
but things are finally easing off to a degree where I can start getting a few projects
done, including the mobile apps (Blackberry included). Our newsletter subscribers
will be the first to try 'em out (sign up on our home page, at Digital Video News, Reviews and Forums at DVInfo.net (http://www.dvinfo.net)).

Les Wilson
July 12th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Thanks Chris.

Jim Gunn
December 9th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Any update on a mobile friendly version of the site, or at least the forums? It's laborious to zoom in and out to read and navigate through many threads in a session even on my fairly large 4.3" smartphone screen. An optional mobile friendly version would allow people who are commuting or have down time on a set or shoot or who are just simpy killing time with the phone in their hand to spend more time reading and contributing to the site.

Michael Wisniewski
December 9th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Well Chris probably has something up his sleeve, but I'd be happy if the forum was running on vBulletin Mobile. I very rarely access the site using a normal computer. It's usually iPad or iPhone nowadays.

Tom Bostick
December 12th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I would love a mobile version of the site too.

Vince Pachiano
January 15th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Please DON'T have a mobile version of DV Info for the iPhone. The iPhone has a fully fledged web browser, Safari, and I enjoy accessing full websites with it whenever I am out of town or away from a computer.
On my android phone, there is a setting called "Enable Mobile Version of Web Pages"
If I leave it unchecked, I always visit the full version of website.

I'd be surprised in iPhone doesn't have the same option, since according to Steve Jobs, Android is a rip-off of iPhone

Pete Bronlund
August 6th, 2012, 11:44 PM
OK everyone, sorry to bring this old chestnut up again but having become an in depth user of an iPad in the field over the past 2 yrs i've found the unit to be as much a common tool to reach for as a screwdriver during maintenance on the cameras i care for. My 10cents is that to have access to this Forum through Tapatalk (provided it costs you guys nothing, and i'm sure it doesn't) would make for a much better experience at this end than having to trawl my way through using Safari to arrive here... I'm already enjoying other related Forums i use in the quick accessible way so it would be fantastic to participate with Dvinfo.net in the same way.... Can you guys please reconsider? Thanking you in hope :-)

Syeed Ali
August 14th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I'd visit here more often if the tapatalk plugin (or any similar plugin) was available as I tend to browse via iPhone and looking at the forum via the iPhone browser is a pain.

Heiko Saele
September 3rd, 2012, 10:36 AM
+1 for Tapatalk!

I mean, you can still develop your own app that will be free of charge and also be a lot cooler than Tapatalk :)
But why not enable Tapatalk along the way? It doesn't hurt, does it? A lot of people already have it for other forums and wouldn't need to buy it.

Nick Reuter
September 11th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Another Tapatalk vote. I use Tapatalk on my own site (alpinezone) and it works great.

Tony Davies-Patrick
September 20th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Pete, why would you need to 'trawl' around Safari to find Dvinfo...? You simply add a Dvinfo.net forum Icon to your home screen. By simply tapping on the Dvinfo it opens immediately into the forum without needing to even enter Safari browser.

To add the icon to the home screen of your iPad or iPhone etc, simply log on to The DV Info Net Forum (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum) via your Safari browser. Now tap the small box-with-arrow at bottom of your screen. A list will then pop-up on your screen. Click on "Add to Home Screen". Type in any heading you want, then click "add".

You will now have the Dvinfo Forum Icon on your iPhone or iPad (alongside all you other apps icons).

To visit this forum at anytime, just tap the icon on your phone and it will open up directly to the Dvinfo.net forum, just like an app. Simple, fast, and no fuss.

Derek Heeps
October 26th, 2012, 03:03 AM
I just have DV Info , along with numerous other sites I regulary visit , in my Safari bookmarks bar .

It only takes max 5 seconds to access any of them and really is no problem .

John Gerard
November 2nd, 2012, 01:52 PM
My two cents:

Please DON'T have a mobile version of DV Info for the iPhone. The iPhone has a fully fledged web browser, Safari, and I enjoy accessing full websites with it whenever I am out of town or away from a computer. I absolutely loathe the fact that the Melbourne Age website changed their RealFooty pages (Australian Rules football news and results) to a compulsory "mobile version". Whereas I'd previously enjoyed the full web pages on Safari, I'm now forced to endure their cruddy, watered-down "mobile version". It's enforced on you - take it or leave it. So I've left it.

At least the Formula One site asks you at the beginning whether you would prefer the mobile version or the fully-fledged version. Something like that for DV Info would be okay (a choice). But not an enforced "dumbed-down" version.

Hi,
First a comment to all. I have an iPhone 4S and the ipad3. On the iPhone this site which I use a lot does not work very well on my iPhone. As an example: I press search then the keyboard pops up I tried to enter my search query and after the first letter it clashes closes then I hit search again I can enter a second letter crashes by the time I try searching for third time it finally let's me type more than one letter and finally do a search this has to be Corrected either by Mobile site or just fixing this one. I believe the iPad works about the same using this site. Very frustrating! If a mobile site is Created and I hope it will ask the user if they want to use the mobile site I do not want to use the mobile site on my iPad, on the iPhone it would probably be okay but I hate sites that automatically see my iPad has a mobile device and use a mobile site when I want to used the full site on my iPad.

To David, What version of the iPhone do you have and how did you get it to work especially in my above comment about the search function?

David Knaggs
November 2nd, 2012, 05:00 PM
Hi John.

I'm on iPhone 5. I haven't encountered search problems to date. I used search the other day on the YouTube website with the iPhone and it was fine. But I haven't been using the iPhone to browse all that much recently (we're all spoiled for choices these days and I've used the iPad so much more for browsing in recent times).

David Dwyer
January 7th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Is there an Android Application available? I would like to use Tapatalk as I use it for other forums so its handy its all in one place but if thats not possible a DVInfo Standalone app would be great.

Soumendra Jena
January 8th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Another vote for Tapatalk , if you haven't yet released your other standalone app plans .

It's pretty cumbersome to explore the forums on iPad and iPhone browsers . Tapatalk will really make things easy. Just my two cents.

Ryan Jones
January 4th, 2014, 10:44 PM
Just wondering if there is any news on this front?

A mobile site or tapatalk integration would be very handy. I'm happy to help if required.

Ralph Gereg
May 29th, 2014, 07:52 PM
+1 for Tapatalk.... I'm participating also in an Aviation forum that (i believe) uses the same forum software as DVInfo and it works great for me on my Android phone.

Ralph