View Full Version : Portabrace bags

Stephen Sobel
November 11th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Has anyone used the Portabrace bags? I'm wondering how they compare to Kata (for use with the GL2 and accessories).

Stephen

Ken Tanaka
November 11th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Yes, I have 2 PortaBrace (PB) cases and 2 PB rain covers and a Kata case. In terms of workmanship, materials and detaiing there is no comparison to Kata. PB is far, far beyond Kata which is basically manufactured to average consumer standards. (BTW, Kata is a Tiffen company.)

Still, that level of quality may be beyond what you may need in practical terms (not to mention what you may be able to justify spending). Many people have been very satisfied with their Kata bags. If you're seriously considering Kata you should also look at LowePro which makes an extensive and widely distributed line of bags, many of which are (in my opinion) of better quality than Kata's and generally more attractively priced.

Stephen Sobel
November 11th, 2002, 08:07 PM
Ok, what do you recommend in terms of LowePro? I'm looking for a bag to carry the GL2 with battery and hood attached, plus an extra battery, a wide-angle lens, a couple of tapes, an external mic (Canon DM-50), a couple of filters, and eventually a telephoto lens. I'd like something that I can use both around town as well as light hiking.

Stephen

Ken Tanaka
November 11th, 2002, 08:54 PM
I don't have a recommendation for you, Stephen. Best to browse the LowePro site http://www.lowepro.com/ or the Kata site http://www.tiffen.com/kata_index2.htm for yourself. I occasionally use a Kata 102 case for my GL2. It's just a plain ol' empty foam bag but sometimes that's all I want.

Stephen Sobel
November 12th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Ken,

Given the GL2 and the accessories that I want to carry, which Portabrace bag would work best for me (assuming I want to go that route). I looked at several on the web page, but I'd prefer some advice from someone who's used them in the field.

Stephen

Ken Tanaka
November 12th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Aha, well PortaBrace now makes a case specifically sized for the GL2: the CS-DV3. I also use the CS-DV3 but, at the time, it was sized just a bit shorter for the GL1. I think it's an excellent travelling case for this camera. You can take a look at it on the PortaBrace site: http://www.portabrace.com/asp/ProdDesc.asp?DescCode=CS. Click on the "Get Model Nos" button, etc.. I purchased mine from B&H Photo (bhphoto.com)

You may choke a bit at the price but once you actually have it and use it I think you'll quickly forget the price and begin wondering who you will bequeath it to in your will.

Stephen Sobel
November 12th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Ken,

Thanks for the info. I noticed you have a Kata bag as well, which you mentioned using occasionally for your GL2. So, when do you use the Portabrace and when do you use the Kata? I'm trying to stick with one bag that I can use around town, traveling, and for light hiking.

Stephen

Ken Tanaka
November 12th, 2002, 10:45 PM
I actually haven't used the Kata bag much, generally only if I'm not going far and just want something to toss the camera and a few accesories into. Its main compartment is spacious but that's about it.

Stephen Sobel
November 13th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Ken,

I took your advice, and looked at the Portabrace, Lowepro, and Kata websites. In addition to the Vidcam series, I noticed Lowepro has a Professional AW series that includes the Commercial AW DV bag. It looks comparable to the Portabrace in terms of price and interior size. Do you have any experience with it - or knowledge about how it compares to the Portabrace in terms of quality, ease of use, etc.?

Stephen

Ken Tanaka
November 13th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Nope. Sorry.

Derrick Begin
November 14th, 2002, 08:04 AM
I bought a Portabrace Traveler sometime ago. Its excellent. Strudy canvas construction, reinforced side for the eyepiece comfortably housed, and nice pockets to put all your individual knick-knacks.

I have an XL1S and it has plenty of breathing room when put in side.

Its on the pricier side, but worth buying to protect your investment. I've also taken it on planes, trains, and automobiles. No problems...

Its not stackable, however, the quality is superb.

Looking at the Kata I feared for the life of the contents inside because it didn't look too sturdy. A friend of mine uses it, he has no problems, just lots of bags.

Hope this helped...

Cheers!

Derrick

Mark Austin
November 16th, 2002, 10:40 AM
After traveling to Alaska with the GL2 in a bag designed for 35mm, I just spent a couple of days trying out every camera bag I could get my hands on to see if I could get the "perfect" setup for the GL2. As it turned out a dealer here in Houston had one ccc101 Kata bag http://www.tiffen.com/kata_ccc101.htm in stock and as soon as I tried it I fell in love with it. It's an extremly well designed bag. It's got a strap to secure the camera (none in Lowepro/Tamrac), it's (semi) hard sided, and it's small and that's why I got the GL2 in the first place.

Although it's small it has room for 4-6 tapes, the charger, the remote, a tripod plate, a pcmcia 1394 adapter, firewire, S Video, and RCA (cables), a couple of BP945's (if you mount one on the camera, and a couple of filters. It bulges a little but the camera is probably more protected in this bag than any of my 35mm stuff is in any of my Tamrac bags (my favorite for that stuff).

I recently traveled several hundred miles over extremly rough terain with it bungeed to the front rack of my ATV, where it got dusty, muddy, and some salt water (gulf coast surf) spray, and not a single spec of dust, water or a scratch on the GL2! It's small and inexpensive ($90-$145) and is by far the best value of any bag I own. my 2 cents.