View Full Version : Chromakey by Cinema Camera

Haitham Lawati
December 8th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Which cinema cameras are suggested to be the best for chroma key purposes?

Haitham Lawati
December 12th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Any Reply?

Perrone Ford
December 12th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Anything that shoots RAW or 4:4:4.

My top choices would be:

1. Phantom 65
2. RED Epic
3. RED One
4. Dalsa Origin (no longer available)
5. Sony F35 / F23
6. Arri Alexa / D21
7. Silicon Imaging SI2K

Haitham Lawati
December 17th, 2010, 06:08 AM
What about the cameras that shoot on 4:2:2 ?
Do you think that they can provide outstanding results and fair enough quality?

Perrone Ford
December 17th, 2010, 06:30 AM
What about the cameras that shoot on 4:2:2 ?
Do you think that they can provide outstanding results and fair enough quality?

Your post said "best", and it also said cinema camera. Nearly every cinema camera I am aware of shoots 4:4:4 or RAW or both.

Compromises beyond that are up to you for testing. What cinema camera are you speaking about that only shoots 4:2:2?

Haitham Lawati
December 17th, 2010, 04:04 PM
No I am asking about ordinary cameras that shoot on 4:2:2 such as Canon XF300, Sony XDCAM, etc. which are used for general purposes. How do evaluate their capability of achieving Chroma? Do they provide high enough quality?

Perrone Ford
December 17th, 2010, 04:13 PM
No I am asking about ordinary cameras that shoot on 4:2:2 such as Canon XF300, Sony XDCAM, etc. which are used for general purposes. How do evaluate their capability of achieving Chroma? Do they provide high enough quality?

They are good enough for *MY* purposes, but people who do VFX would probably consider it garbage. There are a many levels of "high enough quality". Are you talking about feature films, something to put on Youtube? What?

You started the thread asking a very different question than what you're asking about now, so I am confused somewhat.

Robert Turchick
December 17th, 2010, 05:10 PM

I've been doing a ton of greenscreen work with the XF300 and it's been outstanding. I am actually able to retain detail in hair like flyaway and spikey hair which is amazing. (maybe I'm just getting better at lighting!) No really for web and broadcast commercial work the XF is awesome. I've cut a lot of footage from various EX1/1r/EX3 and that's worked really well too. I do prefer the Canon though ;)

Finn Yarbrough
July 4th, 2013, 06:00 PM
You can get a very clean key from 4:2:0 if you light correctly, so if all you can afford is 4:2:2, you will be very happy with the result. I assume that if you were currently shooting for Ridley Scott you wouldn't be asking this question here, so 4:2:2 is plenty. If your 4:2:2 work gets his attention, he will set you up with something more expensive. You probably don't need to own it yourself.