View Full Version : remove mozaic form a tape?!!

Brian Haussmann
August 7th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Hi all,

I recorded a wedding this weekend with three cameras. Unfortunately my wide shot that i was REALLY COUNTING ON decided to go bad I assume dirty heads. I tried cleaning all cameras with a tape cleaner prior to the wedding, obviously this didnt work. Now I have horizontal banding or mosaics of mis-matched video. My question, and I know this is a long shot, does anyone know a good way to correcting this, as there are only a few shots that are CRUCIAL to pulling this wedding video off.

Thanx in advance for any help!!

Boyd Ostroff
August 7th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Are you capturing the tape using the same camera which recorded it? If the heads were out of alignment on that camera then the tape might have the problems you describe when played on a different camera/deck but not on the original.

Brian Haussmann
August 7th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Boyd

Thanx for the reply. I realized that after I posted this. It definately seems to be better when I capture from the same camera that recorded the footage, but some mosaics are still there. I am currently trying to use a stop motion blur filter in final cut. It seems that the mosaic artifacts are the worst when there is movement in the frame. I could still use any ideas if anyone has any.

Peter McKenna
August 8th, 2005, 02:15 AM
I was documenting a performance as a favor to a director and now when I play the tape all I see is a solid color except for the far right which appears to have some pieces (mosaic-like) of the actual scene. Another strange thing is that when I put in another tape to test playback (a previously recorded tape plays just fine), it looks like the last frame on the other tape is displayed in place of the solid color when I try to play my performance tape.

I just bought the gl2 (on eBay) as an open box new item and cosmetically it looks perfect, so I can't see how the heads should be dirly or out of alignment.

I guess I need to test the performance tape in another dv camera and also try a head cleaing tape in my gl2. Any other suggestions would be welcome. I am worried there is some intermittant glitch in my gl2 or perhaps I was in some weird mode when shooting but I can't think of anything off hand that I did, thanks.