View Full Version : FCP crashing on Quicktime Conversion

Chad Whelan
January 13th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Let me 1st say I have being doing this for a couple years this way and never a problem until recently. HDV footage in HDV timeline. I can convert to Blu-Ray or DVD without a problem. Plays great in the timeline. When I try to convert using quicktime conversion for a file going to Vimeo I get a crash. I have tried exporting as a self contained quicktime movie but my audio is out of sync when I do that. I took the out of sync file back into fcp and tried qt conversion again and crash. I then took the out of sync qt movie directly into compressor to convert it for vimeo and it worked fine. Obviously I still have the audio being out of sync problem though. I tried sending the sequence directly from FCP to compressor and after 3 hours working and estimating 9+ hours remaining for a 25 min movie I cancelled that. I converted the sequence to prores and tried quicktime conversion and crashed. I am now trying prores to self contained qt movie to see if audio stays in sync, estimated 3 hours still to go. Any insights??

Thanks!
Chad

Chad Whelan
January 13th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Also want to mention I have trashed preferences, repaired disc permissions, emptied all caches

William Hohauser
January 13th, 2011, 01:20 PM
That is indicative of a corrupted HDV file or a clip with broken timecode. The best thing is to look for the clip that is the problem and recapture it. Perhaps you can experiment with converting the clip to ProRes first and see if that works.

Which Mac are you using? I just converted an 80 min 1080i HDV project (with lots of color-correction applied) to ProRes and it took 2+ hours on an 2009 8-core MacPro. It takes time to work with HDV.

Chad Whelan
January 13th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Finally Success! Converted sequence to prores then exported as quicktime self contained movie. Audio was no longer out of sync. Imported that file into new project and tried qt conversion again, crash. Took file into compressor and did conversion there and worked great.

William I am on a 2006 intel mac, 2 x 2.66 dual core. I went to sleep last night during the hdv to prores conversion, so no exact idea on time there. This is a 25 min movie. It did take about 2.5 hours to convert the prores file to a self contained qt mov and another 3 hours in compressor to convert that to a vimeo happy file. Now more time to upload to vimeo...

Gotta love sometimes when you spend a day and a half trying to figure the work around on something!

William Hohauser
January 13th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Once it was in ProRes, it shouldn't take very long to make a self-contained QT file if the settings remained the same and "recompress" isn't checked. Anyway it's good to hear that the conversion seems to have fixed the corruption. I've had this same audio problem with HDV files over the years. Most of the time it was due to a timecode glitch at a camera break on the tape. The only time I had a conversion crash was due to a bad glitch in the tape which I finally avoided by recapturing around the offending area.