View Full Version : 5d footage ran good for a while...

Brandon Barnard
January 13th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I am cutting up some 5d footage on my new imac i7 and when I initially started, I was just cutting it in native h.264. Now that I am almost done with the project (3min timeline) fcp is telling me that I am using the wrong codec when I try to render. I know I should have transcoded to prores LT but its too late for that. Does anybody know of a way to transcode all my files and then reconnect them without losing my current work? Also, I keep hearing about using the canon plugin for my 5d footage but I also came across another plugin a few weeks back on here that looked even better because it kept the footage even higher quality. Anyone know where that post is?

Thanks in advance.

This project is actually a promo for a non profit called youth at risk and me and my buddy are trying to get it finished for the benefit of the kids. So if you help me, you are helping the organization. Thanks.

William Hohauser
January 13th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Create a ProRes sequence with the same attributes as your h.264 sequence (frame rate, HD size, etc.). Select the entire timeline of the h.264 sequence and paste it into the ProRes sequence. It should work and all you'll need to do is render. I had a small pocket HD camcorder that shot in h.264 QuickTime and this was the only way I could work with the files.

Brandon Barnard
January 14th, 2011, 10:32 AM
William,
Thanks a bunch for the info. I don't know why I didn't think of that. haha. I made the new sequence and it seems to have solved my problem. My only question is, why not just change the sequence settings on the current sequence?

William Hohauser
January 14th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Doesn't always work. Depends on the codecs. My suggestion is the safest way unless you know the other way works.