View Full Version : is Z7 setup similar to FX1 ?

Randy Sanchez
January 23rd, 2011, 06:38 PM
I am hiring a Z7 in a day or so because i have been unable to get a Z1 on hire for the particular day i need it.. I will be using it alongside an FX1 and i was wondering if anyone knows how much variation in the setup there is between the two cameras ? One of the main settings i need to match is the AE shift function, but all the other settings also.. With the FX1 and Z1 they are practically identical to setup but i wont have much time to explore the Z7 so im wondering is it going to be hard for me to get my head around ?

Are there any colour or picture profile settings which might not match up and create a different look between the two cameras ? Or is there a whole bunch of extra features that could affect the appearance against the FX1 ? Also if anything is worded different but has the same results it would be handy to know..

Also i dont have any experience with a changeable lens camera, im hoping the place i hire from have the Z7 setup with a standard lens but am i likely to see much different between it and the FX1.. Or are there any pitfalls i should be aware of ? Thanks

Matt Bigwood
January 24th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Hi Randy, I used to have an FX1 and now use a Z7. You'll find the picture is different from each as the FX1 uses 3xCCDs and the Z7 3xCMOS chips. I doubt you'll get them to match straight out the box and it will require some post processing to match colours etc.

The controls are subtly different - the Z7 has 4-stage a rotating ND filter wheel at the front and the FX1 has a sliding 2-stage ND filter on the side if my memory serves me right. The Z7 has an aperture ring on the lens, whereas the FX1 has the wheel device on the side, and I'm sure there are other differences that don't spring to mind.

I've never used the AE shift so I can't comment on that.

Matt