View Full Version : Multicam question FCP 7

Eric Durkee
January 27th, 2011, 01:32 AM
I am considering a project that will use 2 cameras.
The final project will be imported into FCP 7 using the multicam feature.
I will likely transcode into Pro Res 422 for editing and I may make use of some chroma keying along with a few transitions and titles. Keep it simple but concise.
I'm currently using a Canon XH-A1 as the main camera,editing in FCP 7 on a 21" I-Mac I3 with a 1 TB external raid drive for storage.
Since I am in no position to buy another XH-A1 at this point I'd like to opt for a less expensive alternative to serve as the 2nd camera - ie: the Canon HV-40 or a flash memory variant.
Will I be able to get away with using 2 dissimilar cameras in a multicam situation in FCP 7?

Thank you in advance.

- Eric D

Arnie Schlissel
January 27th, 2011, 08:19 AM
In order to use Multi-Cam in FCP, the 2 clips have to have exactly the same codec, dimensions and frame rate. Why do you want to buy a new camera for what sounds like a one-off gig? Why not simply rent another XHA1?

Eric Durkee
January 27th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Thank you for the reply.
The reason I would want 2 cameras is that this is an ongoing project, not a one time deal.
However it sounds like using 2 different cameras won't be an option if all those parameters have to be the same.
I thought transcoding into Pro Res would tackle that problem though.
I guess I have much to learn!

- Eric D

Arnie Schlissel
January 27th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Try & find a used XHA1 then. That would make this much easier for you.

William Hohauser
January 27th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I use multiple cameras of different formats in multicam all the time. The trick is to decide on the resolution you want to work in and transcode all the files to that size in ProRes. Then setting up multi-cam is easy. The Canon shoots in 1440 x 1080 HDV, if I'm not mistaken, so try to find a good camera that shoots in the same resolution.

Eric Durkee
January 27th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Thank you.
I thought I was on the right track with the Pro Res approach.
It seems hard to find many cameras with 1440x 1080 resolution lately.
I'll probably look for something used.

I should clarify that most cameras I have found recently are 1920x1080 as opposed to 1440x1080.
If there is a way to combine the 2 dimension/formats (in multicam) I would appreciate any suggestions.

-Eric D

Scott Brickert
February 1st, 2011, 09:45 AM
You might look at it this way.

There are acquisition codecs, editing codecs and delivery formats.

If you transcode all your acquisition footage to ProRes 1920x1080p30 or p24 or i60 (pick one), you'll have all the footage in a solid editing codec. Then cut the piece together and output to whatever delivery formats are called for.

This approach means the acquisition codec is less of a deciding factor. It does get tricky trying to use 720p footage in a 1080p timeline. But I shoot both 1440x1080 and 1920x1080, then transcode to 1080p24 for editing. It works well.

PS if you're looking for a 1440x1080 camera to go with the XH-A1, try the HV20/30/40.

Eric Durkee
February 1st, 2011, 02:50 PM
Thank you for your reply!

I think this clears things up a lot.
I'll probably go with the HV40 at this point.

Now it's time to enter the REAL learning curve!

- Eric D