View Full Version : extreme noise level

Hubert Hofer
August 9th, 2005, 09:17 PM
I'll be doing some aerials in a few days and I was wondering if damage could occur to the inbuilt mic of the hdr-hc1 with the camera pretty close to the engine (door removed).

Stephanie Wilson
August 9th, 2005, 10:00 PM
I'll be doing some aerials in a few days and I was wondering if damage could occur to the inbuilt mic of the hdr-hc1 with the camera pretty close to the engine (door removed).

Hey Hugh,

I'm not familiar with your camera, but if it has an Automatic Gain Control feature and you engage it, you should be okay. More sophisticated shotgun mics with filter options or a mixer with low cut capability would be ideal but hey...work with what you have.

Of course, I could be totally wrong.

Sincerely,

Steph

Chris Hurd
August 9th, 2005, 10:50 PM
In addition to AGC, you could just put some tape over the mic (after all, you won't need it, right?) -- I suppose we should go ahead and fire up an aerial videography forum.

Jay Gladwell
August 10th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Why not just turn off the mic or disconnect it? You can then safely add engine noise in post.

Jay

Hubert Hofer
August 10th, 2005, 06:28 PM
thanks for your replies. will try this. plug in an external mic and keep it on the dash board away from the open door. cheers H