View Full Version : Do I upgrade my video card for FCP and Color?

Jeff Troiano
January 31st, 2011, 09:29 PM
I have a 2009 Mac Pro. I'm wondering about video card upgrades. This system came with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512 MB of GDDR3 memory.

My question is, is it worth the money, to upgrade the video card, to one of the newer Ati 5700 or 5870? Or would I be better putting that money into a dedicated I/O card, like a Kona 3D HD card? As I've stated in other posts, I want to run dual monitors, then eventually get the I/O card for CC to a broadcast monitor. I wondering if, when working with FCP, Color, AE, and eventually a 3D modeling program, will the stock card be fine, or am I better off upgrading now?

I can't seem to find much info on the 5770, and 5870 cards, other then the general specs. I thought I would ask here, and see what you all are using, and thoughts are.

Other options?

Thanks for any information,
Jeff

Arnie Schlissel
February 1st, 2011, 11:34 AM
If you really want to use Color, you should have an IO card and a broadcast monitor so you can look at your work in the way it's meant to be seen. Color will perform much better with either one of those ATI cards than it will with your GT120.

Craig Parkes
February 1st, 2011, 02:38 PM
At some point - when you start grading stuff for broadcast etc - you will want to upgrade to both an io card and a better graphics card. In the meantime Color will still work, and by the time you need to do that sort of work either a new version of FCS, a new graphics card, or both could be released that could be a better buy.

Until you a familiar with the software, and find you genuinely have a need for it, I think you would be fine not upgrading. However - if you are getting a loan against the whole package and you need it all in one go, then the current system is best supported by the upgraded ATI cards you mention, and an IO card is pretty much mandatory for consistent broadcast specification color grading.