View Full Version : Pan jitters in my timeline

Brandon Barnard
February 2nd, 2011, 11:03 AM
I have done some searching but haven't really found anything.

I am putting together a project on fcp 7 with a bunch of 5d footage and everything looks amazing except for two or three shots. Whenever there is a pan, the footage gets jumpy and jittery. I know it is not the source files because they run flawlessly in my viewer. Only in the timeline is where they start screwing up. Any ideas?

sequence setting:
prores 422 LT
hdtv1080
24fps

I7 imac w/ 8 gigs of ram.

Brandon Barnard
February 4th, 2011, 02:50 PM
nope...nothing...not even a titter?

Jason Sovey
February 5th, 2011, 11:32 PM
I'm by no means a FCP expert, and I'm not familar with the 5d... but I do use FCP at work.

Sometimes I've found that jittery footage on the TL, looks ok when it's output.

Sometimes the shift fields option of -1 does the trick.

Sometimes I just bring the footage home and edit it on a PC with Edius :-)

William Hohauser
February 6th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I have done some searching but haven't really found anything.

I am putting together a project on fcp 7 with a bunch of 5d footage and everything looks amazing except for two or three shots. Whenever there is a pan, the footage gets jumpy and jittery. I know it is not the source files because they run flawlessly in my viewer. Only in the timeline is where they start screwing up. Any ideas?

sequence setting:
prores 422 LT
hdtv1080
24fps

I7 imac w/ 8 gigs of ram.

Sounds like a mismatch between the footage and the sequence settings. From your description it seems like an interlaced field switch which frequently is invisible in slow moving shots but shows itself in action or pans. How is the 5d footage imported? Is it ProRes as well? Take the footage in question and drag it into a new sequence. If FCP asks to change the sequence settings to the footage's format, let it and then run the footage to see if the problem is still there.