View Full Version : Video pauses, while audio continues. Which setting to change?

Jeff Troiano
February 18th, 2011, 09:33 AM
As anyone who has read any of my posts in the last month or so knows, I am very new to final cut, and I thank you in advance for the guidance.

I'm working on a 2 camera multi sequence, and when I am watching the clip in the viewer, it will play (have everything synced), but after a few seconds, the video will freeze, but the audio keeps going. Then the video will play again. I was wondering what setting I may have wrong, for best performance?

I have a 2009 Mac Pro 8 core 2.26.
26 gigs ram.
4 hard drives (media, scratch, render, and program files drives)

Thank you again,
Jeff

William Hohauser
February 18th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Which codec are the multi-clips in? A what sort of hard drive specifically is it external or internal?

Jeff Troiano
February 18th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I used compressor to make them both prores LT. Their 60p 720. As I was playing around, I activated full screen preview, going to my 19 inch monitor (connected dvi) with main window on my 46 inch LCD tv (connected mini display port to hdmi). Both through the stock video card. I have yet to buy the monitors I'll be using full time, and am planning on upgrading to the 5870 video card also. Plus I'll be adding a true I/O card for previewing to a proper broadcast monitor (eventually). Right now I'm just editing the footage of a radio interview, for posting on the Internet.

The hard drives are all internal, 7200 rpm drives (2TB). But their just standard deskstar drives, not legacy drives.

I'm wondering if the stock video card, paired with the less than ideal monitors, is too much, and the video card is lagging. Or I might have a setting wrong.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Troiano
February 19th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Ok, I worked my way through the problem (by finding a multi cam edit write up online), and checked all my settings, for optimal performance. The problem still was there. I turned off the full screen preview (thinking maybe the video card was the problem), that didn't help.

In the end, it was operator error. When I had to conform one of the cameras from 30p to 60p, I didn't pay attention to where compressor was saving the clip, and it was saved to the desktop, which is on my programs drive. Once I moved that video clip over to the media drive, problem solved.

Just thought I would update, in the event someone else might have this problem in the future.

Jeff