View Full Version : XDcam HD to .mov on PC

Marshall Staton
April 1st, 2011, 09:02 AM
I received a call from a client today wanting me to shoot xdcam hd and convert the files to quicktime and put them on a hard drive. Can I do this on a pc or is this a mac only thing with xdcam transfer?

Doug Jensen
April 1st, 2011, 04:52 PM
XDCAM Transfer is for Mac / FCP only.
It's pretty easy and painless if you have that gear, otherwise, good luck.

If this is going to be a regular client, you might want to suggest they invest in a PDW-U1 drive and do their own ingesting. That way you can stick to being a camera operator and not a data wrangler.
Sony PDW-U1 XDCAM Drive Unit PDW-U1 B&H Photo Video

I had couple of clients go for the U1 when it was explained to them.
Not only can they ingest, they can also write back to the discs to securely store ANY data files.

Alister Chapman
April 3rd, 2011, 05:27 AM
One must assume from the clients request that they are editing on a Mac, but do not have an XDCAM deck. The alternative for you would be to copy the entire contents of each XDCAM disc to separate folders on a hard drive. Then your end client should be able to import the MXF's to .mov's just as if they were on a disc in a deck connected to his/her edit suite.

It is currently impossible AFAIK to play back or edit .mov's that contain XDCAM mpeg on a PC.

Marshall Staton
April 3rd, 2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks guys, I just copied the disc to a folder on the hard drive. I also included the xdcam transfer tool. The joys of going through 3 people for a job.