View Full Version : HyperDeck Shuttle from Blackmagic Design

Pages : [1] 2 3

Thomas Smet
April 11th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Blackmagic Design: Home (http://www.blackmagic-design.com/)

Black Magic has already updated their website this morning with their new products at NAB. There is a lot of new stuff but the biggest one for me is they seem to be the first to announce an actual Thunderbolt capture device for the MBP.

It is a bit more expensive then I had hoped for a Thunderbolt capture device but still very exciting. I wonder why they havent adopted the format for their other devices but perhaps they want to see how well Thunderbolt takes off first.

Simon Wood
April 11th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I imagine this new portable 10 Bit 4:2:2 HyperDrive Shuttle solid state recorder with Hd/SDI & HDMI is the thing everyone will be talking about though.

$350 without a drive!

Andy Wilkinson
April 11th, 2011, 12:50 PM
You bet. Amazing price points. Real game changers.

I really like the sound of this Hyperdeck Shuttle (their website must be taking a hammering as it took me 30 minutes to get this link to re-open!)

Blackmagic Design: HyperDeck Shuttle (http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hyperdeckshuttle/)

Tony Partamian
April 11th, 2011, 02:22 PM
must-have for every F3 owner.

Blackmagic Design: HyperDeck Shuttle (http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hyperdeckshuttle/)

I think we also need SSD Hard drives worth 1000$

PS: where does this leave Atomos-AJA-Convergent Design and Sound Devices....

Jim Newberry
April 11th, 2011, 04:39 PM
This would not allow uncompressed recording with 5D, right? IIRC, the 5D doesn't output full HD res while rolling?

HyperDeck Shuttle gives you the quality of uncompressed recording direct to common low cost SSDs in the smallest possible size! HyperDeck Shuttle is small, affordable and battery powered so it’s perfect as a field recorder. HyperDeck Shuttle bypasses your camera’s compression and records from SDI and HDMI direct into the highest quality uncompressed video. SSDs are cheap and fast, so you can edit directly from the SSD media itself. Only SSDs eliminate time wasting file copying! Only $345

Bryce Comer
April 11th, 2011, 05:06 PM
That Hyperdeck Shuttle really does look very interesting! Can't seem to find any info on size & weight on their website though. Would really like to know the physical size of it!

Michael Maier
April 11th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Yep, I just saw that too. Very impressive!
Actually with this recorder you don't even need a F3. A NEX-FS100 will do just fine since this recorder doesn't record 444, only 422 and the NEX-FS100 outputs 10bit 422 out of it's HDMI. So you get S35mm recorded to uncompressed for around 6.5K, which is less than the original price of the EX1. Insane!

Aaron Newsome
April 11th, 2011, 05:35 PM
WOW! This is really unbelievable at this price!!!

Nevin Styre
April 11th, 2011, 06:09 PM
well that slot is for a 2.5" SSD, that should give you an idea about the size.

Bryce Comer
April 11th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Yeah that's what i figured too, however, when you look at one of the photos with it next to a Sony (I assume EX3) camera, it looks rather large. Hopefully this is not a real indication as to how big it really is!

Jason Bodnar
April 11th, 2011, 08:16 PM
This price is amazing, it will only do 4:2:2 but 10-bit still. This could be a serious threat to the competition if it works as advertised even if you have to throw down 1k on an SSD you are less than 1.5k... not bad with a due date of next month lets see how the tests go. It is getting exciting.

Steve Kalle
April 11th, 2011, 08:56 PM
You still need a monitor for it as there is no interface on the device itself.

From my experience with SSDs (I have them in 4 computers), regular 'off-the-shelf' drives are not designed for constant writing. Their write performance suffers from constant writing as the drive fills up. I will find some benchmarks showing this - they formatted the drive and then began writing to it with a disk speed program (HDTach, HDTune or another one) and the graph shows the write speed greatly dropping.

Nick Hiltgen
April 11th, 2011, 10:09 PM
So what is the data rate for this? I just popped in 10bit rgb on the aja converter app and I got 717gb for 60 minutes of footage? Is this correct? That's a TON of data if so...

Neil Sadwelkar
April 11th, 2011, 10:46 PM
From Blackmagic US$ 350 announced yesterday.

No detail like 'cartridge' cost. Needs the studio player to playback like a VTR over RS-422.

Neil Sadwelkar

Nigel Akam
April 11th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Can't wait to check this out tomorrow

Barry J. Anwender
April 11th, 2011, 11:39 PM
See the attached for precise data rates and record times for the various frame rates.

Basically its just under one hour of 10-bit 4:2:2 for 512GB drive. Thus one can understand why the Convergent Gemini went with two hot swap SSD slots.

What there not saying at this point is the required read/write speeds for the SSD. A 512GB SSD that will maintain consistent write speeds over its life span costs between $1100 - $1500 USD.

Baiju Gadhia
April 12th, 2011, 12:21 AM
While the Hyperdeck Shuttle looks interesting and very handy I'm more intrigued by the new mixers.

We're looking at putting in new installations at a couple of places later this year and the ATEM Television Studio ($995) looks like a really good possibility for one, especially if paired with a touch screen laptop instead of a control surface to start with. Most of the alternatives offing this capability (HD, Six inputs 4 of which are HDMI/HDSDI, h264 encoding) are much more expensive and the ability to just run a ethernet cable to control it from anywhere could be a real benefit.

Also looking at the possibility of using ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher or the ATEM 2 M/E Production Switcher at a couple of places though there, I'm looking forward to what new stuff Panasonic and datavideo are offering this year.

Mathieu Ghekiere
April 12th, 2011, 02:39 AM
And a free version of DaVinci Resolve is very interesting for people to let them get to know the software (and it's pretty functional too, for being a free version).

Alister Chapman
April 12th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Guess BM are trying to corner the market and keep the Ninja from selling take a look at the 2nd section of this page if you want to know why Allens Arthur Robinson: Publication: Intellectual Property Bulletin (http://www.aar.com.au/pubs/ip/ipbullapr10.htm) and when it ships it's may not be $345 for long.

Sanjin Svajger
April 12th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Sooo this ting records uncompressed 4:2:2 10bit files correct? What would be the bit rate of 1080 25p?

Joachim Hoge
April 12th, 2011, 03:05 AM
looks great. A bit strange that it dosen´t seem to have a lid over the SSD opening. Looks a bit exposed

Edit: Any time frame suggested?
Edit2; found it, May

Aaron Newsome
April 12th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Heed the warning about crap SSD drives. I've tested quite a bit of them. Very few live up to the wild claims of datarate. I'm glad I have a few drives that are certified for sustained 4:2:2 uncompressed.

Henry Olonga
April 12th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Sanjin,

From the Blackmagic Design site.

The storage and data rates for uncompressed video are listed below.

525 NTSC uncompressed;
8 bit @ 720 x 486 @ 29.97fps = 20 MB per/sec, or 70 GB per/hr.
10 bit @ 720 x 486 @ 29.97fps = 27 MB per/sec, or 94 GB per/hr.

625 PAL uncompressed;
8 bit @ 720 x 576 @ 25fps = 20 MB per/sec, or 70 GB per/hr.
10 bit @ 720 x 576 @ 25fps = 26 MB per/sec, or 93 GB per/hr.

720p HDTV uncompressed;
8 bit @ 1280 x 720 @ 59.94field = 105 MB per/sec, or 370 GB per/hr.
10 bit @ 1280 x 720 @ 59.94field = 140 MB per/sec, or 494 GB per/hr.

1080i and 1080p HDTV uncompressed;
8 bit @ 1920 x 1080 @ 24fps = 95 MB per/sec, or 334 GB per/hr.
10 bit @ 1920 x 1080 @ 24fps = 127 MB per/sec, or 445 GB per/hr.

8 bit @ 1920 x 1080 @ 25fps = 99 MB per/sec, or 348 GB per/hr.
10 bit @ 1920 x 1080 @ 25fps = 132 MB per/sec, or 463 GB per/hr.

8 bit @ 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97fps = 119 MB per/sec, or 417 GB per/hr.
10 bit @ 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97fps = 158 MB per/sec, or 556 GB per/hr.

1080i and 1080p HDTV RGB (4:4:4) uncompressed;
10 bit @ 1280 x 720p @ 60fps = 211 MB per/sec, or 742 GB per/hr.
10 bit @ 1920 x 1080 @ 24PsF = 190 MB per/sec, or 667 GB per/hr.
10 bit @ 1920 x 1080 @ 50i = 198 MB per/sec, or 695 GB per/hr.
10 bit @ 1920 x 1080 @ 60i = 237 MB per/sec, or 834 GB per/hr.

Jason Burkhimer
April 12th, 2011, 05:49 AM
The thing I find interesting(and there may be nothing to it really) is that Blackmagic has a NEX-VG10 displayed a couple of times in the marketing materials for the Shuttle. The VG10's viewfinder and LCD are disabled when HDMI out is engaged and the Shuttle doesn't have a monitor. So why would they push a product that doesnt completely work with what they are selling? Maybe they have insight into a Sony firmware upgrade that will allow for simultaneous hdmi out/lcd viewing? I'm probably reading too much into something that isn't there. Will deff cop a Shuttle when it drops though!

-burk

Pieter de Vries
April 12th, 2011, 05:58 AM
No pricing or capacity on the SSD cards, but with the recorder costing so little, hey!

Mounting options, can't see any, and there is little flexibility in the controls and monitoring unlike the Nanoflash (hands up who likes to see timecode ticking over?) Also it doesn't seem to allow you to change the bit rate. But the projected price is really the knockout punch in my opinion.

Joachim Hoge
April 12th, 2011, 06:20 AM
It would be nice if it did have an option to record a compressed format as well. Uncompressed still takes up a bit too much space to easily shoot for one day without having to dump the disks you are shooting on. (Depends on you shooting style, but still)

Tony Partamian
April 12th, 2011, 07:16 AM
With a 345$ price, i would happily use duct tape .

Aaron Newsome
April 12th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Pieter, no need to change the bitrate since it only records one rate.

Bill Pryor
April 12th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Right, no good for the 5DII.

Ray Bell
April 12th, 2011, 09:34 AM
How does the Shuttle compare to the Nanoflash.... Also... anyone know the answer to this... looks like the Shuttle only works with Apple... did they say when it would work with PC based systems...

Felix van Oost
April 12th, 2011, 09:35 AM
At first glance the Hyperdeck Shuttle was what I've been waiting for and more, but there do seem to be some issues with it. Although it's only $345, you have to factor in the cost of an SSD (a 256GB SSD will give you around 35 mins of recording time and cost upwards of $400), and depending on what you already have you might need a field monitor and an investment in a new RAID storage solution for all that data. So it's not as cheap as expected.

I'm thrilled that they managed to make something so small, so cheap (compared to other recorders out there), and with full uncompressed 1080p 4:2:2 10-bit, which was previously unheard of at this price. However, for me, I'm not sure I can live with the 35 min recording time and I don't have anywhere to dump footage when in the field - I'm usually shooting on mountains, and I also can't afford a much larger drive at the moment). It would also add another step to my workflow - transcoding all those files to CineForm, which means buying a second CineForm license for my laptop. If I can make it work though, it would be sick.

Felix van Oost
April 12th, 2011, 09:39 AM
How does the Shuttle compare to the Nanoflash.... Also... anyone know the answer to this... looks like the Shuttle only works with Apple... did they say when it would work with PC based systems...

The Shuttle is higher quality than the nanoFlash - uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2 1080p vs. maximum 280Mb/s XDCAM 4:2:2 8-bit. The files generated by the Shuttle are universal QuickTime files (not ProRes) that work on both PC and Mac in all major NLEs.

Michael Dalton
April 12th, 2011, 10:27 AM
One major device that I'm looking for is something that can be used for creating Digital Broadcast Masters on SSD. A device like this or the AJA ki-pro or mini that can be used as these products are, but can also work like a deck, where I can take my final edit, set it up with; timecode,bars and tone, black, slates etc, and put it on a SSD card. It would work like a tape, so if I have errors I can do insert edits etc.

Since they can do un-ccompressed 10-bit out of SDI, Why doesn't some use this technology to finally get rid of TAPE?

The price point can be so low everyone can afford to adopt. 1-3k range.

All home edit station can have one, all post houses so they can go to tape and make dubs without having to go through a suite, networks can use them so we can avoid going to TAPE, and give digital deliveries of our EPISODE masters on SSD.

Just storing SSD's would take up significantly less space. I think they are robust too.

Life would be good!!!

Nick Hiltgen
April 12th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I can't help but think given the amount of money you'll have to spend on SSD's it might be better to invest in the Ultrastudio 3d. You can capture the full 444 out as well as 422 and if you daisy chain it with a thunderbolt equipped NAS you can use spinning hard drives instead of the SSD's.

I get that it's not as portable to have that capture option but I can't help but think you'll need 3 or 4 512 SSD drives on set for a full day of shooting or you'll need a computer for off loading and archiving. So if you're already going to have a computer on set it seems like it might be better to get a 444 option, maybe I'm wrong.

Bryce Comer
April 12th, 2011, 12:21 PM
So looking at the pictures & scaling from those roughly. I think it looks to be around 125mm x 22mm x 90mm, or 5" x 7/8" x 3 1/2"
If this is the case, wow, it's very small indeed!

Duncan Craig
April 12th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I've posted these thoughts elsewhere, but here they are anyway:

WOW, this looks great, it's a shame they can't fit a compression system in there.
So I suppose the NanoFlash is still worthwhile to get the 50mb/s broadcast spec requirements.

I still have questions, though I'm sure we'll find out soon.

How long does the battery last?
Does it record timecode from SDI?
Is it timecode triggered too? (personally I shoot TOD so this won't work for me, but other need it)
Is it possible to have a miniUSB remote control, (like a lanc start button)
Can you lock out the buttons to stop accidental presses (perhaps a short tap of the power button could disable the buttons, a longer press switches it off/on)
What are the mounting options. Standard threads would suffice.

Giuseppe Pugliese
April 12th, 2011, 01:45 PM
would love to know what the estimated price for SSD's that can sustain the uncompressed rate, would be.

Greg Boston
April 12th, 2011, 02:08 PM
No pricing or capacity on the SSD cards, but with the recorder costing so little,

That's because you are supposed to supply your own drives.

gb

Ray Bell
April 12th, 2011, 08:42 PM
And a free version of DaVinci Resolve is very interesting for people to let them get to know the software (and it's pretty functional too, for being a free version).

can you point us to the website for the free version of DaVinci Resolve...

Thanks

Andrew Stone
April 12th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Certainly worth keeping an eye on as a 422 10bit recorder in some situations where you don't have to worry about swapping out drives between shots but like others who have issued concerns about continuous data throughput on SSDs, I would be concerned. Part of buying a recorder, like buying a lot of video gear is the support after you own the product.

Blackmagic Design has turned out some really great products but some not so great and when a product doesn't live up to their expectations they are quick to just "move on" and not address concerns with software or firmware updates. UltraScope is such a product.

The extremely low price of this device has me worried about this as they will have to maintain business incentive to continue improving the product once it is released.

Ronan Fournier
April 13th, 2011, 01:59 AM
On the Shuttle, how do you know the empty space left on the SSD while recording? No screen, no gauge…

Sanjin Svajger
April 13th, 2011, 03:40 AM
4:2:2 uncompressed... Is there really such a diference betwen this and let's say prores from ninja at 220 Mbits?? Why not go 4:4:4? 4:4:4 would be great for chroma key work. But uncompressed 4:2:2 compared to prores 4:2:2 at 220 is it really worth it?

Felix van Oost
April 13th, 2011, 05:45 AM
The reason the Shuttle is so cheap is because it does almost no processing. There is no large processor and no codec licensing fees to be paid - all it does is take the stream directly from the camera and package it into a QuickTime container. The only format it does is 4:2:2 10-bit uncompressed - anything else defeats the purpose.

The purpose of the Shuttle is a cheap, no-frills way to get original masters from your camera to your computer. The whole point is that you then transcode to your editing codec of choice - that's the beauty of it. Since it's uncompressed, you can choose whatever format you want to edit to, without being in locked in with specific formats like the nanoFlash or Ninja. Yes, it does require transcoding, but it's much faster if the source is uncompressed than if you try to convert AVCHD files to something else. That's where you save the money in all this.

Dom Stevenson
April 13th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Felix

Excuse my ignorance, but i'm slightly baffled as to the point of this thing.

So having transcoded you'd create new files and dump the originals? I mean who wants these kind of file sizes sitting on their drives, or is this gizmo for high end folks only?

Ray Bell
April 13th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Dom, The primary function of these video recorders is to allow you to record the non-compressed video out of the camera before the camera has performed any compression of the video... So the non-compressed video will not have any of the on-board compression artifacts present... several people then take the video files and use an intermediate like Cineform to expand on the editability of the files further.... So in post processing you are given more latitude in your edits... like color correction or color grading...

an example would be bypassing on-board mpeg2 compression (8 bit), capture in non-compressed format, use Cineform to convert the file structure to 12bit 4,4,4 - color correct and color grade then output to blu-ray.

Another advantage is recording to disk vs recording to tape.... and other benefits depending on how you use them in your workflow.

Daniel Weber
April 13th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I looked at this device at NAB this week and it is impressive. It will not work with any of the Canon HD-DSLR's because of the lack of a clean signal coming out via HDMI. I believe that it could be used on the Panasonic GH2. I see the real market for the Hyperdrive being Sony EX1's and EX3's or other smaller chip cameras that have SDI out.

Impressive device.

Nigel Barker
April 14th, 2011, 06:02 AM
At first glance the Hyperdeck Shuttle was what I've been waiting for and more, but there do seem to be some issues with it. Although it's only $345, you have to factor in the cost of an SSD (a 256GB SSD will give you around 35 mins of recording time and cost upwards of $400)By my reckoning that makes it only a little cheaper to run than a camera using Panasonic P2 cards the price of which everyone seems to bitch about:-)

Nigel Barker
April 14th, 2011, 10:02 AM
An impressive device at a good price but expensive to run as a 256GB SSD is only good for recording around 30 minutes of video.

Andrew Allsbury
April 14th, 2011, 05:15 PM
If you shoot weddings/events, should this be your weapon of choice? Probably not. But from a commercial production and advertising perspective I can tell you this thing is a godsend...as long as it functions as advertised.

Thomas Smet
April 15th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Personally I'm a bit disappointed with the BW thunderbolt device. It looks very nice but a bit pricey compared to other desktop based capture devices. Not everybody needs SDI and other fancy formats such as 3D. I was really hoping they would just make an Intensity Shuttle version with Thunderbolt instead of USB3. Just a basic HDMI device for a low cost.

Oh well, I'm kind of glad I bought a 17 MBP recently. Now at least I can consider getting a Matrox MXO2mini that uses the express card slot. It costs bit more then an Intensity device but much cheaper then $1000.00. I guess this way I can really free up the Thunderbolt port for storage.