View Full Version : Problem with DN60 & XHA1s

Bob Zagami
April 16th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Just wondering if anyone can help with this problem
I use a DN-60 with a Canon XHA1s camera. The problem I have is that when I turn the camera on, it seems to take a long time before the camera registers that it is connected to the DN60 and allow me to control the DN60 from the camera. It turns on the DN60 when the camera is turned on but the display in the camera viewfinder shows lines where the DV status is for about 1 to 2 minutes before it changes the DV status to a green box and I can use it how it is suppose to be used. When I switch over to hi def mode (the camera & dn60) it does the same thing however the green box does not show at all and I cannot control the DN60. The weird thing about this is that while it is waiting to register, I can set the DN60 in record mode manually and it will record so the signal is going through.
I have tried different camera’s, different cables & changed the dn60 to “set sync to tape” but it makes no difference.
The firmware version is V10.
Just like to know if anyone else has a similar problem or if it sounds like that the dn60 has a fault.
Thanks

Stany Hermans
April 20th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Bob,
I reported this problem to the Benelux dealer (Holdan UK, Datavideo Support) almost 2 months ago because the DN-60 had exactly the same problem that you describe with a XH A1 (don't know about the XH A1s). I must say they were very helpful to find the reason of this sync problem. They even shipped a XH A1 to their engineers in Taiwan to investigate the problem. In the end I was told that it was a Canon issue and that it could eventually be solved by downgrading the XH A1's firmware.... not something you want to do (and not free either). I tested firmware V9 and V10 of the DN-60 but it didn't make any difference. I was told that the US-models don't have this problem. I hope in the end that Datavideo will solve the problem some way because, without the sync problem, it is a relative cheap device and in combination with a certified compactflash card, it records well.

If you bought the DN60 recently then I recommend you to talk to your dealer and ask to exchange it for a Focus Firestore FS CF (Canon version) or the Sony MRC1K unless the problem can be solved by Datavideo or Canon. The downside is that it will cost you a lot more...Personally I think the Focus FS CF works best with the Canon although I read very positive things about the MRC1K also.

Canon XH A1 firmware: 1.0.2.0 (European PAL).
Tested with: DN605011009155510 and DN605011109155511 (same result with both firmwares)

Stany

Michael Ojjeh
April 21st, 2011, 06:01 PM
I have the same problem with my XH-A1 not recognizing the DN60 when it starts up, I also have been in touch Datavideo support and they've been very helpful but cannot really find a solution.

the solution that I found for this problem is to start the DN60 first manually then you turn the camera on, you will see the green square on the XHA1 and you can start recording with no problem, I really think the DN60 takes too long to start up which makes the XHA1 looking for a signal that is not getting so goes into a loop.

Jacques E. Bouchard
May 15th, 2011, 05:03 AM
What do you mean when you say "DV status to a green box"? I don't seem to have any such indicator on my XH-A1's LCD (or viewfinder) screen.

J.