View Full Version : New Nexto and out for the count

Pieter de Vries
April 22nd, 2011, 05:46 AM
I can say that my NVS2500 is just not doing it!

I've had it just one day and now it won't mount on my Mac, HDD check reports errors and says to check it on my PC - no can do as it won't even recognise it! I've erased all my backups (the ones that I did managed to do) and reformatted the HDD. I've updated to v1.22 firmware from V1.07 and right now the thing will not turn off.

It's going right back to where I purchased it but in the meantime, any ideas as too what is or isn't going on here. I had such high expectations based on reviews but now.......

Les Wilson
April 22nd, 2011, 06:54 AM
If memory serves, I got it in the won't turn off state as well. As I recall, there is a reset button to get out of it.

Karen Schwartz
April 22nd, 2011, 06:07 PM
If the NVS2500 will not turn off (via the on-off button), press the RESET button using a toothpick or paper clip. The RESET button ("RST") is located on the bottom of the unit, to the right of the USB port. In my experience, the RESET ("RST") button turned the power off safely so that my data stored in the hard drive was not lost or altered. I'm sorry you're experiencing problems. Your local dealer should be able to help you with the other issues.

Pieter de Vries
April 23rd, 2011, 02:49 AM
If the NVS2500 will not turn off (via the on-off button), press the RESET button using a toothpick or paper clip. The RESET button ("RST") is located on the bottom of the unit, to the right of the USB port. In my experience, the RESET ("RST") button turned the power off safely so that my data stored in the hard drive was not lost or altered. I'm sorry you're experiencing problems. Your local dealer should be able to help you with the other issues.

Thanks. My unit, in my opinion, was DOA so I'll be asking for a new unit.

Larry Seong
April 25th, 2011, 06:09 AM
"I've had it just one day and now it won't mount on my Mac, HDD check reports errors and says to check it on my PC "

It means some kind of bad sector on the hard drive.
This bad sector can cause MAC or PC cannot detect external hard drive.

Firmware version 1.07 is very old version which is released around end of year 2009.
There were lot of firmware change after V1.07 to V1.22, so freezing device just after firmware upgrade can happen.
In that case, you can turn off the device using the reset button on the bottom of the NVS2500.
During the next power up, NVS2500 re-condition itself then you should be able to use the device normaly.

But because the hard drive check failed so you need to contact your seller anyway.