View Full Version : How's it going?

Pages : [1] 2

Lorinda Norton
May 27th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I don't even have an idea yet! How are the rest of you doing?

Jay Kavi
May 28th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Shooting Sunday and Monday! Nervous and excited!

Andris Krastins
May 30th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Will try first shooting today after work which involves some serious biking in getting to the location.
I'm so tired I'm on the edge of writing it all off, but that's the challenge.

Gerald OConnor
May 30th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Was Trying to learn the canon xf100 had the xa10 and reordered another one. Not having good luck with the xf100, bought adobe production premiere to help with the mxf files then needed more drive space so went to install a second drive it was a raid setup messed it all up. So hopefully I can get all my picture recovered. Wife's loving me right now. So I should make a movie on how to mess it all up in a week. Haha

Henry Williams
May 30th, 2011, 01:38 PM
struggling a bit at the moment I have to confess. A combo of ill parents (they're on the mend now) and three gigs to edit has rather put the kibosh on my creativity. But... I will submit something. That jib is too shiny not to!

Ronn Kilby
May 31st, 2011, 10:17 AM
Since I signed up for DVC20 I've shot a car commercial that I now have to edit, shot 2 days of interviews in two locations with 18 different setups, shot a real estate commercial that I now have to edit, and shot a pharmaceutical company CEO interview and new drug launch event.

But nothing for DVC20 (beyond concept). Never been on the wall but there's a first time for everything.

Andris Krastins
May 31st, 2011, 11:50 AM
I shot a few scenes yesterday and today.
Will continue shooting tomorrow and a day after that.
Then, if the video gods allow, on to editing.

The daily job is killing me, but I found out that after a hard day's of work nothing, apart from martial arts, takes away so much stress as filming.

Jay Kavi
May 31st, 2011, 01:11 PM
Shooting wrapped yesterday. Now to edit...

Marc Burleigh
May 31st, 2011, 01:20 PM
Argh. Repeat. Argh.

Actress bails, then B-cameraman gets called out of town. This could be a one-hander of drastically reduced ambition.... Am still going to try....

Henry Williams
June 1st, 2011, 04:39 AM
Lorinda, my brother George Williams has applied to join the forum to enter this DVINFO comp. I completely understand that Chris is a very busy man but is there any way you could bend his ear on my behalf to process George's application in time for him to sign up and submit his entry? I'd be ridiculously grateful to both of you.

Many thanks,

Henry

Lorinda Norton
June 1st, 2011, 09:09 AM
Chris probably already saw your post, Henry, but I'll put a bug in his ear. Consider George signed up for the challenge. We'll make it work! :)

...I found out that after a hard day's of work nothing, apart from martial arts, takes away so much stress as filming.
That is one of the coolest remarks I have seen here. Keep at it, Andris, and good luck to the rest of you who are working against odds, as well!

Henry Williams
June 1st, 2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks so much! I really appreciate it :)

Chris Hurd
June 2nd, 2011, 07:09 AM
Chris probably already saw your postI don't see *every* post, but I can always be contacted directly by email using the "contact us" link at the bottom of any page on the forum. He's in.

Henry Williams
June 2nd, 2011, 07:13 AM
Thank you, Chris. That's incredibly kind of you. If something like this ever crops up again I'll make sure to contact you directly.

Dick Mays
June 3rd, 2011, 06:43 PM
Shooting tomorrow, editing Sunday. You are not behind until you actually start....

Lorinda Norton
June 3rd, 2011, 07:01 PM
Ha ha! Well then, I won't feel like I'm behind until Sunday--hoping to shoot, edit and submit in the same day. Very uncomplicated little video (I hope) so should be okay.

Andris Krastins
June 3rd, 2011, 10:08 PM
It's early 6day morning rigjt now. Still have some shots to do. Will no bike to a local forest for a few of them. Then some sound samples and then, hopefully, on to editing.

Andris Krastins
June 4th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Damn, I lost my shotgun mic in the forest! I suspect one passer by may have treated himself with it while I was busy shooting a scene.

Henry Williams
June 4th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Nooo! Really hope it wasn't anything too wonderful. Am filming my own meagre effort today and very, very nervous as I have to be on camera. Saying words. That's a few miles outside of my comfort zone.

George Williams
June 4th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Spent all of this morning swearing at my computer, but have now managed to get the soundtrack sorted. Should be relatively plain sailing from here (he says, in a "oh god, I just jinxed it didn't I?" kind of way).

Henry Williams
June 4th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Apparently me and the speaking of words on camera are non-compatible. Back to the drawing board.

Andris Krastins
June 4th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Nooo! Really hope it wasn't anything too wonderful.
It was a Rode NTG-2, great mic. Oh well, I should have been more careful. Will borrow some money from friends to buy a new one,

Lorinda Norton
June 4th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I'm sorry about your mic, Andris! That really stinks.

As for the Williams brothers, I can tell this is going to be a lively round with the two of them on board. :) Henry, even though we would probably think you did great, you're learning what I did a few years back--stay behind the camera unless it's you or the wall. Even voiceover is excruciating, but if your drawing board comes up with that, it's not quite so intolerable as watching yourself try to speak on camera. I did it one time...never again!

Henry Williams
June 4th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I definitely didn't want to get in front of the camera but it was a piece of meta-fiction. Some of you guys know what I look like so I couldn't get an actor in to be me! Would have been a really fun little shocker (and I'd have greatly enjoyed making everyone jump out of their skins when they watched it) but such is life. Off to film the new idea in the wee small hours tomorrow morning. 50/50 chance I'll get bothered by the police (again) for using a tripod somewhere I'm perfectly entitled to ;)

Andris Krastins
June 4th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I'm making something really crazy.

Henry Williams
June 4th, 2011, 11:49 AM
look forward to it!

Andris Krastins
June 4th, 2011, 01:49 PM
May I use not more than 20 or so seconds of archival public domain WWII footage? The overall length will be about 5 mins.
It's critical to the story and I couldn't in any way shoot it myself.

Lorinda Norton
June 4th, 2011, 03:25 PM
That's a tough one, Andris. Our original rules stated that if the archival footage was a critical part of telling your story then, no. But I re-read the newer version of the rules I posted and it isn't as specific. Why don't you email the clip to me via some free source like sendspace.com and explain the story a bit. I'll run it past Dylan and get back to you ASAP. Bottom line, nothing is really stopping you from using it but you may get docked by judges. But let's have a look. In the meantime think about the possibility of alluding to the same thing without actually showing it. You are a creative guy--there might be a way!

Chris Barcellos
June 4th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Got mine done, but its been about a year again since last entry, and I am looking for the email address where we are supposed to send links for our films.

Have we posted this info somewhere for the new and old shooters ? I saw the post for DVC17 about when you are done. Gave following:

When you are finished...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...and your film is uploaded to YouTube and/or Vimeo, use this format for emailing the link(s) to thedvchallenge@gmail.com. Not critical, just makes things easier:

Subject line: DVC20 - Your Name

Body:

Your Name
Title of Video
link(s)

Lorinda Norton
June 4th, 2011, 04:51 PM
That would be the drill. I edited it to show the current challenge. Thanks, Chris! :)

Henry Williams
June 4th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Well done Chris. Really look forward to your entry after seeing some of your past films. Hopefully I'll be able to join you and the other finishers tomorrow!

Andris Krastins
June 4th, 2011, 10:02 PM
That's a tough one, Andris. Our original rules stated that if the archival footage was a critical part of telling your story then, no. But I re-read the newer version of the rules I posted and it isn't as specific. Why don't you email the clip to me via some free source like sendspace.com and explain the story a bit. I'll run it past Dylan and get back to you ASAP. Bottom line, nothing is really stopping you from using it but you may get docked by judges. But let's have a look. In the meantime think about the possibility of alluding to the same thing without actually showing it. You are a creative guy--there might be a way!
It's a few seconds of an interrupted footage of hiroshima bomb going off, some survivors and an American war plane. I'll try to send it. It's mixed in short bursrts togethet with my own material.

Lorinda Norton
June 4th, 2011, 10:30 PM
You can hold off going to the trouble of sending the clip for now, Andris. I sent the explanation to Dylan and we will see what he says.

Andris Krastins
June 4th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks, Lorinda!
In the mean time: I'm about half through the editing right now and I'm not quite sure yet what beast will be created. The material rearranges itself to its own flow. That's quite an interesting experience, not knowing what I will end up with.

Royston Coppenger
June 4th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Well, guess I'm on the wall. Had a decent idea, shot a little, and then got caught up in the unfortunately necessary task of buying a new (ish) car to replace my old beater. Dang! I'm looking forward to seeing everybody else's entries...

Dylan Couper
June 4th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Argh. I'm so out. AAAARGH.

Lorinda Norton
June 5th, 2011, 12:15 AM
And with that, our gallant leader rides away, forgetting to tell Andris that it will be fine for him to use the archival footage. *sigh* ;) Full steam ahead, Andris!

You guys are dropping like flies...hoping everyone else is getting close to being done--deadline is tomorrow night!

George Williams
June 5th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Yay! I'm finished. I've no idea if anyone will understand it at all, but it's finished! I'll email the link. Please be gentle - I've never tried to make a film before. ;-)

I'm really looking forward to everyone else's efforts. When do we get to see all the other films?

Andris Krastins
June 5th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Looking forward to seeing your work, George!

As for me, I'm rendering the first version of the film right now. Quite a surreal take on the "instructional video" theme, but you already know me from other DVC entries, I guess.

George Williams
June 5th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Ooh, and good luck everyone.

Andris Krastins
June 5th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Film submitted! Almost forgot to send the e-mail to Lorinda! :)

Dick Mays
June 5th, 2011, 09:24 AM

Is this the same Dylan Cooper who said there was no excuse for anyone not doing this challenge? LOL. Why don't you make an instructional video on how to get off the wall of shame!

Andris Krastins
June 5th, 2011, 09:31 AM
That's a great idea!

Dylan Couper
June 5th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Is this the same Dylan Cooper who said there was no excuse for anyone not doing this challenge? LOL. Why don't you make an instructional video on how to get off the wall of shame!

Cause I'm too busy making one on why I suck? :)

Lorinda, emailed you an answer already. ;)

I should post my script, but maybe I should just go ahead and make it anyway.
I think part of me thought that the challenge ended next weekend.

Lorinda Norton
June 5th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Lorinda, emailed you an answer already. ;)

I know--just wanted to give you a little trouble. :)

Somehow I need to be told a challenge ends a week sooner than it does. I never get good ideas until my back is against the wall and it's too late to pull it off.

Gerald OConnor
June 5th, 2011, 07:13 PM
OK new computer keeps crashing with Adobe Premiere Cs5.5 but was able to work with old one and vegas so uploading to vimeo now Ahhhhh. Its been a callenge and fun thanks.
Vegas has a mind of it's own no time to redo LOL its uploaded, there's always next time.

Thank you for the chance , I havnt received a got it reply yet hopefully due to you letting us fix our render issues thank you

Bill Thesken
June 5th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Thought about jumping in yesterday evening 6-4-11, ran the story by the family, they thought it was great, but I didn't think I had enough time. This morning I checked the sign up and discover that it's due at 12 midnight PDT which is 9PM our time in Hawaii. So I filmed all day, and now it's 3:30PM HST / 6:30 PDT.

Will try to get it edited and up on time........... in between watching the NBA finals.........

Henry Williams
June 5th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Uploaded. I'm done :)

Lorinda Norton
June 5th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Way to go, guys! Thanks to Dick Mays giving me an idea I just shot a little something. Gonna see how it looks and decide if I'll be staying off the wall after all. I haven't missed a challenge yet--kinda hate to see the run broken. :)

Lorinda Norton
June 5th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Just a reminder to all y'all about submitting:

Send the link to your uploaded video to thedvchallenge@gmail.com. If you haven't received a "Got it!" reply we don't have it!

Subject line: DVC 20 - [Your Name]

Title of Video
Link(s)

A little over an hour to go! Get 'em in, folks!! And let us know if you are having technical problems...we'll work with you. :)