View Full Version : Video warning when card is full

Steve Cocklin
June 2nd, 2011, 10:46 AM
When on the shoulder with my F3 I can’t see the status of my Ki Pro mini causing a bit of stress during takes wondering where my cards are at media wise. I will soon be in the market for an evf is there anything in the works where when viewing either HDMI or SDI out from the Ki Pro that the unit would signal in some way the card is full on the viewfinder? Even just turning off the video coming out of the Ki Pro would let the cameraperson know it was time to change cards.

Jon Thorn
June 2nd, 2011, 12:08 PM
Steve C. - All of the buttons on the front of the Ki Pro Mini flash at 15% remaining capacity with a "WARNING Media Low" prompt also appearing on the Ki Pro Mini UI screen. We typically recommend users swap out media at this point to avoid missing an upcoming take. At 10%, the "WARNING Media Full" appears and again all of the backlit buttons flash several times.

I appreciate that if it's on your shoulder, it's not as easy to see the flashing buttons, so it's probably wise to just check the remaining capacity from time to time. As much as it would be great to communicate information back to a camera's eyepiece, that's really not possible as the camera's information reporting is a closed system. Blacking out the output really wouldn't be helpful if you wanted to continue using the EE output of the Ki Pro Mini and it could make for complications if you wanted to play back a full CF card on the unit, etc.

Hope this makes sense,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.

Marc Colemont
June 12th, 2011, 07:09 AM
I have the following suggestion as I had both memory card full and low batterry warnings were the unit shuts down itself without noticing. Pretty scaring this happening when it sits back on your shoulder turning out there is no recording.

I now use the headphone out to at least hear the unit is working.
Doing this got me to this suggestion.
Can you please add audio beeps when it starts/stops recording like one/two short beeps?
Then when there is a warning use longer beeps, or when it's going to shut down or stop recording alarming beeps.

This would make it so much better to at least know the unit on the back is doing it's thing and is recording.

Jon Thorn
June 12th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Marc C. - We can take your suggestion under consideration, but I cannot say whether or not it could or would be implemented.

Thank you for your feedback,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.

Marc Colemont
June 14th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Thanks Jon and the AJA-team to take it in consideration.

I do think it would give great value to the product.

Marc Colemont

Jim Tittle
June 30th, 2011, 05:45 AM
I second that. Please give us the option of an audible warning!