View Full Version : New here on this site XM2

Ronnie Murtagh
August 21st, 2005, 01:23 PM
Hi All

Living in Ireland just came across an offer on XM2 Canon camcorder, can anyone tell me how good this camera .
Can I transfer Analogue Video onto Camcoeder then into Computer for editing. Any help would be Good.

Ronnie

David Ennis
August 21st, 2005, 02:50 PM
Welcome, Ronnie! The XM2 (GL2 in the US) is an extremely good camera. Three 1/4" CCDS for vivid colors at high resolution, outstanding optics with a 20x optical zoom, outstanding manual control and nice auto and semi auto modes.

Most camcorders will allow you transfer analog onto them, and then download to the computer, but the GL2 is among the ones that do better. It will convert an analog input to digital "on the fly" and send it to the computer without the need to record it to its own tape.

The main complaint against it is that the transport mechanism is apparently not very robust, and people have reported problems with it, especially with rewinding. I love my GL2, and I use a $25 Maxell rewinder to reduce wear and tear on its transport mechansim.

I trust Grazie will add a mild endorsement, am a correct, Grazie? :>)

Graham Bernard
August 21st, 2005, 03:24 PM
The XM2 is a good camera. - G

Seriously though, what are you looking for in a prosumer camera?

.. ps . . Ronnie , do a search for my name against the XM2 here and you might see what Fred is on about.

Ronnie Murtagh
August 22nd, 2005, 03:41 PM
Many Thanks Guys for that information, so I guess the ONLY problem I could encounter is the rewinding system... also the fact that analogue can pass through to computer on the XM2 direct into Movie Factory " I hope "
I think I will invest in this machine.
Can I pick your brains guys at another time.
Where on this forum can I see demo tapes of the XM2.

Thanks again Guys

Ronnie

Ronnie Murtagh
August 22nd, 2005, 04:07 PM
my use for the camera would be to try make short films for private use and would enjoy getting into Special Effects Sc-Fi etc...
I have analogue camera using VHS-C for family type things, but just feel it is time to enjoy Semi Pro camera for excellent results.

Thanks Graham

Ronnie