View Full Version : GY-HM100 for documentary

Andreas Schmidt
June 14th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Hello,

this is one of the which camera to buy threads. I am planning to shoot a documentary with plenty of nice landscape plus talking heads. This is my very first foray into commercial documentary filmmaking and the plan is to sell the movie afterwards as a release mainly on DVD or on iTunes if I figure out how to do it.

I basically was already set on the camera with the Canon XA10 or Canon XF100 but I currently cannot get my hands on those cams. I had one on pre-order for quite a while but no luck so far and I have to start shooting mid July.

So based on the tight schedule I had again to look around for a cam and I am now looking at either the Panasonic AG-HMC40 or the JVC GY-HM100.

JVC is currently running a promotion in Germany and I can get one with the wide angel adapter plus extra battery and a JVC bag for Euro 3000.- (Firmware 1.11)

Now for me that is really a lot of money and In any case I will order last minute and see if the Canons become available but if not - which one should I get?

For me the main question is if the camera is worth it or if I should buy the Panasonic instead (about the same price with the accessories)

Thanks a lot for any feedback.
Best
Andreas

Finnur Bardarson
June 14th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I would buy JVC GY-100 tomorrow again if had to. I am so happy with this camcorder.

Dave Mercer
June 14th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I looked into both the Panasonic and the JVC. I almost got a second hand JVC for $2000 but was beat out by someone else.

That said, most people I queried liked the Panasonic more both for image quality, low light and handling.

I was interested in the JVC because it is PAL/NTSC switchable which is very handy for my work.

I ended up buying a Panasonic GH1 (hacked) and have been using it for my broadcast work (news reports in HD). However, if I were to buy a cam today it would either be the X100 or the new Sony NX70 (if I could find either in stock).

Here's some answers to my questions about the HM100:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm100-camcorder/479706-hm-100-quality-image-broadcast.html

Andreas Schmidt
June 15th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I would buy JVC GY-100 tomorrow again if had to. I am so happy with this camcorder.

Hello,

why are you so happy and can you compare it to the Panasonic? Did you test the Panasonic? Why is the JVC better?

Best
Andreas

Bart Walczak
June 16th, 2011, 07:10 AM
We tested JVC extensively, and while we appreciated all the manual controls that we got, what turned us off was the fact that the iris did not open and close smoothly, but the exposition would change in visible steps, which might sometimes be an issue.

Finnur Bardarson
June 17th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Hello,

why are you so happy and can you compare it to the Panasonic? Did you test the Panasonic? Why is the JVC better?

Best
Andreas

I studied many cameras. It is irrelevant to talk about the best camera. GY-HM100 has all what I need. Good picture quality, the size and many other things. Specially the seamless workflow with Final Cut Studio.

Finnur Bardarson
June 17th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Take at look at this MacVideo - Camera Technology - Interviews - Vaughan Smith: Return from Afghanistan (http://www.macvideo.tv/camera-technology/interviews/index.cfm?articleId=3219252&pagType=samecatsamechan)

Andreas Schmidt
June 18th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Hi all,

thanks a lot for all your feedback. I was lucky yesterday and could get my hands on a Canon XA10 which I preferred but is really very hard to find anywhere.

If I would have to choose between the Panasonic HMC41 and the JVC GY-HM100 I would have gone with the Panasonic but that was a very close call.

These camera decisions are quite important for me because I have a very tight budget and I cannot afford to buy the wrong stuff in that price range.

Best
Andreas

Finnur Bardarson
June 18th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I am sure you will be happy with your new camera
Good luck
Finnur

Ed Szarleta
August 4th, 2011, 09:58 AM

The best I've used.