View Full Version : FCP X, Motion 5 and Dashwood Stereo3D Toolbox compatibility

Tim Dashwood
June 21st, 2011, 09:03 AM
FCP X & Motion 5 have been released and the questions are already rolling in so I wanted to post the current status. I myself only downloaded the apps about an hour ago so I'm still figuring out where we stand.

It looks like FCP X does not add any stereoscopic clip management and no longer seems to support multi-clip the way previous versions did. However, I do see potential in utilizing "compound clips" in stereoscopic workflows. More on this as I experiment.

FCP X appears to not support FxPlug plugins natively. This basically means that our suite of plugins can't officially exist in FCP X. However, there is a workaround involving Motion Templates that does seem to work, but it doesn't support our cool dynamic UI features. More on this as I play around with it.

The good news is that Motion 5 does support FxPlug plugins but through a new FxPlug upgrade known as FxPlug 2. Download the latest version of FxFactory (v2.6) for support in Motion 5. FxFactory Download (http://www.dashwood3d.com/download.php)

It appears that you can safely install FCP X and Motion 5 (and Compressor 4) without overwriting Final Cut Studio. The apps reorganize the older FCS apps into a folder within the Applications folder.
When we have completed our internal testing with Motion 5 and FCP X we will release Stereo3D Toolbox v3.

That's all for now. I will continue to update as I explore these new apps. Tim

Carlton Bright
June 21st, 2011, 05:17 PM
This is a far fetched Idea, but is there a possibility an independent company could/would buy FCP-7 from Apple.
That way, the third-party companies, and the huge number of people that have set up their livelihood could really hone, customize, etc, FCP-7.

Tim Dashwood
June 22nd, 2011, 10:10 AM
That is far-fetched and it will never happen. They could have sold Shake but they just killed it instead.

On another note.... I have had success porting Stereo3D Toolbox LE over to FCP X.
We've lost the dynamic UI stuff like the help link and 3D preview screen but it is functional and harnesses all of the playback power of the app.

Now I'm working on 3D workflows.

Neil Richards
June 29th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Thanks Tim, I was about to ask about this and you've answered at least some of my questions. From an FCP X review I read recently it looked like compound clips could perhaps be more stable than nested sequences and offer a way to handle 3D in X.

Assuming you get it all to work my biggest concern is still the fact you can't import existing FCS projects into FCP X - what's that about?

Cheers

Neil

Tim Dashwood
June 29th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Yes the compound clips work better in one respect and not another. More details on this when we finish our own testing.

Version 3 of Stereo3D Toolbox LE will be released with FxFactory 2.6.1 in a week or so and will also be FCP X compatible. As usual this will be a free upgrade for existing LE license holders. We have added quite a few new features to LE that will be announced at the time of release.

The full version of Stereo3D Toolbox v3.0 will be released in August at the same time as Stereo3D CAT is released.

my biggest concern is still the fact you can't import existing FCS projects into FCP X - what's that about?
There are many aspects of the first release version of FCP X that don't make sense to most of us. Please check out our dedicated FCP X forum (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/) for all the latest information.

Neil Richards
June 30th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks Tim - great, another FCP X forum to bury myself in :)

Arnie Schlissel
July 2nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks, Tim.

I'm really impressed that you are willing to take the time to make things work with FCP-X.

David M. Cole
January 31st, 2012, 09:28 AM
Tim:

Does the 10.0.3 update open things up for stereo3D? Any news on the Toolbox update?

Thanks!

Tim Dashwood
February 6th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Does the 10.0.3 update open things up for stereo3D?
It sure does. There have been many under-the-hood improvements to Motion 5 and FCP X 10.0.3 that we have been waiting patiently for.

We can now finally push forward with our plans for Toolbox v3 on FCP X & Motion 5. It can't be exactly the same as in FCP 7 because there are still limitations with Motion Templates used in FCP X vs full FxPlug support in FCP7, but we have something really cool and radically different in the works.

The intent is to release the update before before NAB.

Pavel Houda
March 11th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Will you be showing the version 3 at NAB Tim?

David M. Cole
April 12th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Any news, Tim?

Tim Dashwood
April 13th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Announcement on Monday. If you are at NAB be sure to visit our booth to try out the new Toolbox interface.

Pavel Houda
April 18th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I just returned from NAB 2012. Tim's new Stereo3D Toolbox prototype is AWESOME! Lot more control and productivity, no rendering, auto-alignment, and other amazingly powerful controls. I tried other 3D editors, this one will be one to beat. If you get a chance, visit Tim's booth at the Central Hall. I will release a short clip shortly.

David M. Cole
April 30th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Pavel... any word on that clip of the new Stereo3D Toolbox demo??

Tim Dashwood
April 30th, 2012, 06:10 PM
We discovered a pretty big bug with the new Toolbox in After Effects CS6 last week but hopefully we can find the remedy in the next week and then officially release. In the meantime anyone who wants to beta test it in Final Cut Pro can sign up here (http://www.dashwood3d.com/beta.php) and we will send you the next build in a few days.

Pavel Houda
June 11th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Tim, I have a need to back up to the previous release of S3D Toolbox and Factory. Is there an easy way to so so? Thanks.

Tim Dashwood
June 11th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Hi Pavel.

All previous versions of the plugins are included in every new update so you can still open old projects from as long ago as 2009.

However, the 'obsolete' versions are hidden from view in the host apps' effects menus by default. If you want to apply an old version then you simply have to unhide them.

To make them visible just go to FxFactory's General Preferences and turn off "Hide Obsolete Effects".

Tim Dashwood
June 11th, 2012, 06:19 PM
I guess this is a good time to mention that Stereo3D Toolbox v4.0 was officially released last week.

Stereo3D Toolbox Plugin Suite (http://www.dashwood3d.com/stereo3dtoolbox.php)

Pavel Houda
June 11th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Thank you Tim. The S/W and your support are great! I tried Vegas a little. It has much less features and flexibility in 3D, and it crashes like windows used to 10 years ago. It's three generation or more behind. Too hard for 3D professional use. Again, Kudos!!!