View Full Version : JBK Follow Focus - backlash problems

Jesse Rosten
August 22nd, 2005, 03:51 PM
I have recently purchased the JBKCINE mini basic follow focus. I've found the amount of "backlash" (loseness in the gearbox) to be excessive. My question is how much backlash is to be expected? Is it possible to be precise when there is so much play in the gears? Has anyone else had this problem?

thanks
jes

Jesse Rosten
August 22nd, 2005, 04:55 PM
here is a link to the follow focus

http://www.jbkcinequipt.com/ff201a.html

Rainer Hoffmann
August 23rd, 2005, 12:50 AM
Jesse, I have never used the JBKCINE mini basic follow focus but I use the Chrosziel follow focus with the Canon 16x manual lens. There is no noticable backlash with that combination of follow focus and lens.

I suggest you ask your dealer or the manufacturer wether this backlash is normal or the follow focus gear is faulty.

Jesse Rosten
August 23rd, 2005, 10:24 AM
Well, my suspicion is that the FF is faulty. But, JBK insists that all their gearboxes have a certain amount of blacklash in them. I don't see how they expect people to make accurate pulls with this device. It's like asking a Nascar driver to race with a loose steering wheel.

Anthony Marotti
August 23rd, 2005, 11:15 AM
here is a link to the follow focus

http://www.jbkcinequipt.com/ff201a.html

WOW that's a lot of money for so little hardware... it should at least work flawless!!!!

Jun Tang
October 16th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Hi Jesse,

Did you ever solve your problem?

Jesse Rosten
October 16th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Hi Jun,

Thanks for asking. No I never solved my problem. I talked with Jerry from JBK *many* times and could not get a straight answer from him other than "ALL SALES FINAL! NO RETURNS!" I asked him if he would replace the product because it is obviously defective and he declined to help.

Needless to say I'm not happy about dropping over $600 on a product that doesn't work. The customer service that I experienced was sub-par. After months of cordial emails and phone calls, Jerry became down-right rude.

At this point, I cannot endorse this device.

Anthony Marotti
October 17th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Hi Jun,

Thanks for asking. No I never solved my problem. I talked with Jerry from JBK *many* times and could not get a straight answer from him other than "ALL SALES FINAL! NO RETURNS!" I asked him if he would replace the product because it is obviously defective and he declined to help.

Needless to say I'm not happy about dropping over $600 on a product that doesn't work. The customer service that I experienced was sub-par. After months of cordial emails and phone calls, Jerry became down-right rude.

At this point, I cannot endorse this device.

Hi,

I just found out that one of my employees was so upset with your problem that he wrote the company about your plight. We have also decided not to do business with JBK.

I apologize for not getting your permission, but my guy didn't get mine, so I had no control over the situation.

Shaughan Flynn
October 17th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Yeah - these guys are seriously on the ball:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<sales@jbkcinequipt.com>:
216.218.210.210 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 553 5.3.0 <sales@jbkcinequipt.com>... user No Such
User
Giving up on 216.218.210.210.

Jesse Rosten
October 17th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Anthony,

It's all good. I just stated what happened and how I felt. Your employee came to his own conclusions.

Also, for the record, I think JBK has decent products (when they work) it's their customer service that stinks.

Jun Tang
October 17th, 2005, 01:18 PM
I'm confused now....

So Anthony, your company makes the follow focus and JBK distributes?

I'm in the market for follow focus unit and was trying to get feedback.

Thanks...

Maybe Jesse you should put the thing on e-bay and get something else

Jesse Rosten
October 17th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Jun,

No I don't think I can sell this thing because it doesn't work properly. I'd just be pawning off my problem onto someone else.... and putting them through the same thing that I'm complaining about. Just wouldn't be right.

But yes, I would like to get something else. Any suggestions?

Anthony Marotti
October 17th, 2005, 10:09 PM
I'm confused now....

So Anthony, your company makes the follow focus and JBK distributes?

I'm in the market for follow focus unit and was trying to get feedback.

Thanks...

Maybe Jesse you should put the thing on e-bay and get something else

Hello Jun,

No I am a producer. The e-mail was prompted by this thread. This company doesn't seem like it treated our friend here very well, so we voiced our support.

Anthony Marotti
October 17th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Jun,

No I don't think I can sell this thing because it doesn't work properly. I'd just be pawning off my problem onto someone else.... and putting them through the same thing that I'm complaining about. Just wouldn't be right.

But yes, I would like to get something else. Any suggestions?

You are a good person Jesse!

Might it work correctly on a different Camera/Lens setup?

Jesse Rosten
October 18th, 2005, 11:56 AM
The only way I can make this FF unit work is to set multiple marks for each focus point, based on the direction I'm pulling. Does that make sense?

I can turn the handwheel about a quarter inch before the gearbox engages. So I have to be aware of which direction I'm pulling otherwise the focus will be off.

Anthony Marotti
October 18th, 2005, 07:00 PM
The only way I can make this FF unit work is to set multiple marks for each focus point, based on the direction I'm pulling. Does that make sense?

I can turn the handwheel about a quarter inch before the gearbox engages. So I have to be aware of which direction I'm pulling otherwise the focus will be off.

That's ridiculous !