View Full Version : I need help creating Blu-Ray DVD's!

Steve Humphrey
July 4th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Recently upgraded video cameras to a Panasonic AG-HMC-80 and a JVC GY-HM100U. Edit using FCP and purchased Toast Titanium 11 to create the Blu-Ray file DVD's. Toast 11 gives me the 99% Completion error so I don't use it to create my Blu-Ray Disks.

My process is Share from FCP & export to Compressor to create the HD Blu-Ray file. Then burn the Blu-Ray Disk using FCP Blu-Ray option. I use a 12X LG Blu-Ray Re-Writer to burn the Blu-Ray Disks.

My problem it's taking so long to render/author the Blu-Ray files. My camera settings are 1920X1080 by 60i on each camera. No problem recording and editing the footage with FCP. But, It's taking 15 - 17 hours to create the Blu-Ray Files and tying up my computer for so long. I edit on an 24' iMac with 4GB memory and 2.4GHz Intel Core Duo Processor. Would it help to speed up this process if I had 6-8GB Memory rather than 4GB. I think my iMac memory max's out at 6GB of memory.

Is anybody else having this problem taking so long to create the Blu-Ray disks? I would like to deliver in Blu-Ray format if possible. Most of our customers own HD Blu-Ray players and want there copies on Blu-Ray.

Are most of you delivering SD DVD's to your customers? Are you recording in SD with your HD cameras? Are your recording at 720P rather than 1080P?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Steve

Peter Manojlovic
July 5th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Steve, the biggest problem for anybody is the long render times...

It seems like most of the people outputting to BluRay are people who have souped up their newest computers with the faster intel chips and lots of ram, running 64 bit OS and Adobe CS5.0 and 5.5.

As far as speed is concerned, it helps to encode to as close to your native source as possible..
Therefore, if you're recording and editing in 50i, then output the same BluRay specs.

If working with 720P footage, then render with that..

Of course, you could always edit and render with a 3rd party codec. Since you're on a mac, i'm guessing that ProRes would be quicker for both editing and exporting..

Good luck!!!

Markus Klatt
July 12th, 2011, 01:19 PM
If you are using x264 to encode into H.264 with best settings you will need 10 hours rendering time for 30 minutes of footage - on an Intel i7 QuadCore with 12GB RAM with permanent 100% CPU usage on all cores. Double it, if you are using a professional noise filter in addition.

H.264 encoding with quick settings may be able to encode the same footage in 2-3 hours, but the quality is not the same. The final rendering with best settings will take veeeery long, on any modern work station.