View Full Version : Downloading from XL2

Peter Sheridan
July 11th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Hi all, when I connect my Canon XL2 to my computer (windows 7) the pc recognises it straight away and asks if it want to download entire tape,normally I do so it rewinds the tape to the beginning and then starts to download after which it stops automatically. Job done no problem. BUT now and again I may want to use the remainder of the tape for another shoot or just select parts of the tape to dowload,this is where the problem arises because unless I download the entire tape it does not download as individual clips,
So if I want all the individual clips that I have shot I have to download in the full tape download mode.
Even if I manually stop the tape at the point that I want the series of clips to download it will only download one continuous clip!!!!!! Any ideas.

Richard Alvarez
July 12th, 2011, 09:16 AM
You will need to 'log and capture'. This will require an editing program that allows you to do this. You will input the beginning time code, and the end point - and the program will only capture that segment of the tape. Most NLEs will do this.

Don Palomaki
July 14th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Many NLE and capture program can be set to split the capture into separate clips at breakpoints in time code/scene (e.g., when the camcorder recording was stopped or paused). This is often a capture configuration item.