View Full Version : FS-CF Pro problem...

Ed Roo
August 14th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I spent the past week shooting aircraft and doing some interviews using the FS-CF Pro. Wednesday and Friday everything was working well. Saturday I did a 1h+15m interview, everything was okay. Shortly thereafter, I did another 30 minute interview. This was followed by a third interview on a 32 GB Scandisk Extreme CF card. When I started the interview, the FS-CF Pro was reporting 38 minutes remaining, battery was still above 50% charge remaining. I recorded ~4 seconds and the timer stopped indicating it was recording. I pressed the record button to stop and attempt to restart, but it was as if the recorder was stuck in some kind of processor working mode. It finally went back to the ready screen, I pressed the record button, this time it ran for ~8 seconds and the same process was repeated. I started it a third time and this time it kept running. I conducted an interview that I thought lasted about 20 minutes, but the recorder only showed an elapsed time of about 10 minutes. Then I had problems ejecting it. When I plugged the card into the Mac to download it, it popped up window saying the card was unrecognizable. Put the card back in the recorder, files are still there. Ran disk repair and file repair, ejected the card again, Mac said it wasn't recognizable again. I am wondering if I can access the files through the recorders HDD function via the USB connector? Anyone had similar problems? I suspect the card format is corrupted, but I am not going to reformat the card until I have downloaded the files.

Ed Fiebke
August 15th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Please clarify if you're taking the card out of the FS-CF Pro and connecting it to your computer via another device? If so, you really don't need to. You should be able to connect the FS-CF Pro to your computer, directly, then enable the HDD function of the device (so that the computer can read the card).

I'm not familiar with the FS-CF Pro. But, I do have the older FS-4Pro and the newer FS-H200 Pro. So far, I've had no problems connecting the FS-H200 Pro to the computer and reading the card that way. Also (knock on wood), I've had no problems with the issue of corrupted files.

I wish you good luck in recovering your files. . .

Ed Roo
August 15th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks for that information Ed.
I normally eject the card and plug it into an external Firewire 800 CF card reader plugged into my MBP.
I have been reading and rereading the FS-CF Pro manual sections regarding the HDD via USB and the FS-CF Pro Server USB to ethernet connection.
I will probably try the HDD via USB connection first due to its simplicity.
Not having used either of the two methods previously, I was looking for others opinions.
Thanks for the advice.

Ed Roo
August 20th, 2011, 05:44 PM
The USB via HDD did not work. The computer does not see any HDD. This is probably due to the fact that the formating has been corrupted. Next attempt will be to acquire a USB to ethernet adapter and try the FS-CF serve connection.

Steve Jordan
March 8th, 2012, 09:15 AM
One assumes you've cured this but I wanted to know if you, before removing the card, have followed the correct proceedure in letting the FS-CF pro prepare the card for removal? On the FS-200 Pro I have to press the F4 button (CF on the screen) this preps the files folders etc for removal -best guess it places anything in the memory on to the card- otherwise files can be corrupted.