View Full Version : Kingston 16 GB Ultimate 266x cards

Matt Bigwood
August 15th, 2011, 01:30 AM
I just bought two Kingston Ultimate 16GB 266x Compact Flash cards for a good price - £21 each - to use in my Sony Z7, but when I format them in the MRC1K recorder there is a format error warning with both cards - A:12:02 I think.

If I use them in my Nikon D3 stills camera initially the camera throws up a 'CHA' error which relates to the CF card, but if I format them again they seem to work OK in the camera.

Does anyone have any experiences like this?

Matt Bigwood
August 23rd, 2011, 01:34 AM
Just to update: I received two identical replacement Kingston cards, but these have the same error.

Tom Hardwick
August 23rd, 2011, 01:45 AM
I'd be worried if this was your only recording medium, but the Z7 can record a backup to HDV tape at the same time, yes? Even so, things ain't right. You've not had this warning with other cards? If so I'd forget the saving and go back to Transcend, Sandick, whatever.

Matt Bigwood
August 23rd, 2011, 01:48 AM
I've had the camera for two years now and have used slower Kingston cards perfectly well - I've got a couple of 133x Kingstons which are fine.

I also use a couple of Sandisk, a Hama 32Gb 200x card and a 'MyMemory' branded 16GB card without any problems.

Reed Gidez
October 26th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Matt

I purchased a trio of Kingston Cards about 16 months ago and they exhibited the same problem you are describing. I sent them back to Kingston and they replaced them and the problem remained. It wasn't until the third set arrived that the problem was resolved. I think it had something to do with the controller on the card not being compatible. I don't know if that affected the IO speed but they have been fine ever since. I will try to find my notes on the experience along with the codes from the cards that showed the relative info so you can compare. If you haven't already resolved this ( I am only seeing this many weeks after your post) ask them to send you cards with another controller.