View Full Version : Playing Z1 footage

Marcus Durham
August 16th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Not quite sure this fits here but perhaps someone may be able to help. Our Z1 isn't getting any use these days so it might be time to sell it.

Problem is that it is now our only remaining way to play DVCAM and HDV footage. All our other tape cameras have gone and we never had a deck.

So basically I've got a Z1 hanging around to look at a tape every few months. Not ideal.

Obviously the easiest thing to do would be to buy a cheap HDV camcorder and use that as a deck. The problem of course comes with the DVCAM footage.

Does anyone know of a domestic unit that can play HDV and DVCAM (PAL region) that I can use to take the place of my Z1 as a occasional deck? I once heard a rumour that some Sony domestic units could play DVCAM but I have no idea if that is true.

Thanks.

Rick L. Allen
August 16th, 2011, 03:34 PM
All Sony HDV decks play back DVCAM. Check the deck specs on the Sony site for confirmation.

Adam Gold
August 16th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I know their pro decks do, from the M15 on up, but I'm not sure about the consumer decks like the HD700. I checked the specs in the manual and there's no mention of DVCAM anywhere, and with Sony, if it doesn't specifically say it *can* do something, it generally *can't.* Mine's out on loan or I'd test it now.

But even an M15 at this point is probably more expensive than a Z1, unless you could find a used one cheap, and then I'd be worried about its condition. Frankly I'd keep the Z1 as a backup cam for emergencies.

Marcus Durham
August 17th, 2011, 01:34 AM
I know their pro decks do, from the M15 on up, but I'm not sure about the consumer decks like the HD700. I checked the specs in the manual and there's no mention of DVCAM anywhere, and with Sony, if it doesn't specifically say it *can* do something, it generally *can't.* Mine's out on loan or I'd test it now.

But even an M15 at this point is probably more expensive than a Z1, unless you could find a used one cheap, and then I'd be worried about its condition. Frankly I'd keep the Z1 as a backup cam for emergencies.

To be honest I'm not looking at buying a deck. That would be overkill. All I need is a second hand domestic camera to act as a very occasional deck. According to the Sony DVCAM FAQ:

" As well most Sony DV products, except for the original two camera's (DCR-VX700 and VX1000), also have full playback compatibility with DVCAM tapes. Many other manufactures DV products can playback DVCAM as well."

So that answers that question. I just need to find a Sony.

Not that keen on keeping the Z1 as a backup. Dealing with tape is now a pain in the backside and the image quality is no longer really up to my expectations let alone the fact 95% of our material is progressive these days. It simply no longer fits into our workflow.

Cheers.

Steve Game
August 17th, 2011, 01:44 AM
Many of the 'better' Sony consumer camcorders used to play DVCAM. My old TRV900 would play them quite happily, (probably better than DV recordings as the worn heads had greater guard bands to deal with).

You may be able to secure a cheap TRV900 or even a VX2000 just for playback purposes.

Steve

Marcus Durham
August 17th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Have done some more digging. According to Sony's HDV FAQ, all Sony HDV camcorders can play back DVCAM.

Useful to know for anyone looking to retain some kind of playback facility without breaking the bank.

Cheers.