View Full Version : Pmw-320k xdcam ex vs pmw-ex1r xdcam ex

Scott Comeau
September 11th, 2011, 07:00 AM
I’m trying to compare theses two nice cameras from Sony.

What do you get for the extra six thousand dollars from the PMW-EX1R to the PMW-320K?

I’m planning to buy an XDCAM soon and I would like to hear your views on theses unit’s.

I will be doing post production and might be doing some live recording in the future.

I would like to hear from you on the differences between the two please and what you think of each of these camcorders.

Thank you for any information you can give me please.

Scott

John Lister
September 11th, 2011, 10:36 AM
I've just looked at the same two cameras as well as an EX-3. In the end I went for the EX-3 and a shoulder mount from DM accessories. I already have anEX-1 but needed a second camera for some jobs in the near future.

The 320 is a nice camera and conventional in terms of shape and operation, but considerably heavier than an EX-1/EX-3. It also has a slightly longer lens 16 to 1 rather than 14 to 1 on the EX-1 and EX-3.

The 320 also has genlock but so does the EX-3.

The 320 is better if you are doing a lot of hand held work as well as having better options on the audio side.

Picture quality seems to be identical so unless you want a slightly longer lens or the better audio options you might as well save your cash.

Steve Kalle
September 13th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I recently noticed that local news affiliates are replacing old cameras with 320s and a cameraman was surprised to see me with an EX3 and EX1 at a local event due to who my client was (local gov't).

At a press conference last year, there were cameramen from all 5 local news outlets and only 1 of them did NOT play with my EX1. They just couldn't believe the amazing IQ and great lens from such a small and inexpensive camera. The NBC guy was the only one who didn't check out my camera because he only had a HVX200 or 170.

With that said, the 320 is slightly more sensitive and/or has slightly less noise. Sony acknowledged that the processing was upgraded compared to the EX1/3. I think there are 4 channels of audio in the 320 or it might be a stereo plus 2 mono. You get V-Lock built in which I like rather than spending a bunch of money upgrading my EX3 to use V-mount batteries and an on-camera light.

However, with an EX3, you have 2 options: a small camera or a larger camera with a good shoulder mount setup. Those 2 options are why I added an EX3 to my EX1 rather than a 320 which I also considered. I bought probably the most expensive shoulder rig but it is worth every dollar - the Zacuto Newsman Rig plus a few add'l items. If you search my name and Zacuto here, you can find some images of my rig with a Dedo LEDZilla.

One major caveat to the EX3: you MUST buy a good baseplate because the EX3's tripod plate WILL break like mine did. To make an EX3 useable as a real ENG shouldermount rig, it will add considerable cost. My Zacuto rig costs about $2700 with all the extra items or around $2000 for the base setup.

Also, you would need a much more expensive tripod to use with the heavier 320. I have a Sachtler FSB 8 with carbon fiber legs and its barely enough for my EX3 + Zacuto rig. However, if I will be zooming past 70%, I remove the Zacuto rig and use as little accessories as possible.

One more thing to consider: I think that the 320's lens does NOT have IS built into it whereas the EX3 does. I totally 100% believe in using IS on a tripod unless that tripod is very expensive and the legs are extremely stable. With just my EX3 on my FSB 8 and nothing else, I don't like how unstable it is when zoomed past 75%. With IS (aka Steadyshot) enabled, its not a major problem. However, I tested 100% zoom with and without IS and the video would be completely unusable without IS. I tested this at a concert a couple months ago where I had to be zoomed in 90-100%.