View Full Version : Cinestyle LUT emulation with EDIUS YUV

Ted Ramasola
October 2nd, 2011, 01:39 AM
I do quick grades in EDIUS with my 5D footage with cinestyle color profile and its a cumbersome process to go to AE to access the Cinestyle LUT for reference in grading,
so I made an emulation of the Cinestyle LUT with the EDIUS YUV color corrector filter.
It might not be perfect but I think its close as a starting point and or reference for grading using other tools.

Here's a snapshot of the curves and the node coordinates so you can copy it and save as a user preset. I saved mine and called it CINESTYLE LUT Emulate YUV.

And also frame grabs of Cinestyle RAW /Cinestyle LUT applied from AE / Cinestyle LUT Emulation YUV in Edius.

Hope this helps 5D and Edius users out there. Do feel free to tweak it to suit your taste. :-)

Ted Ramasola
October 2nd, 2011, 04:07 AM
I've edited the attached curves as the first one was based on an HQ exported avi, to further cut on workflow I now based the curves on raw mov files from camera.

Ervin Farkas
October 4th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Ted,

I tested your settings with some JVC GY-HD100 footage I shot earlier this year - and I love them! They are fairly close to what I can do with NewBlue's FilmPro setting, but I like yours a lot more!

Attached are three screen grabs straight out of Edius; the footage was shot in fairly low light conditions, in 720P30, with a scene file I came up with, basically a combination of the stock CineWide and Paolo Ciccone TC3, modified for maximum latitude. I also added sharpness 17, because the sharpness in the camera is turned way down.

Thank you for sharing this!

Ted Ramasola
October 4th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Ervin,

I'm glad to know you find it useful even for non canon/cinestyle footage.

I also tested it even with the neutral profile on the 5D and its better on the scopes than the default standard settings.

Ted

Sebastian Alvarez
October 27th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Here's a snapshot of the curves and the node coordinates so you can copy it and save as a user preset. I saved mine and called it CINESTYLE LUT Emulate YUV.

Thanks for sharing this. Do you know if there's a way to enter the coordinates manually? It's really difficult to get the exact numbers by mouse dragging.

Ted Ramasola
October 27th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Use the arrow keys Sebastian.

Sebastian Alvarez
October 27th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks, Ted, I didn't know that.

Steve Montoto
May 25th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Do you think this would work with the 5d mk iii?

I've never used a lut but it looks very promising and fast.

Ted Ramasola
May 25th, 2012, 06:37 AM
I did not yet see feedback on how cinestyle affects the mkiii footage. But in theory it should.
Bear in mind that an LUT is only your stepping stone for your grade, its not normally an end in itself.