View Full Version : "Public atom?"

Michael Kinney
October 21st, 2011, 07:52 AM
I recorded in HD, and got that warning, and couldn't access the files that were on the drive. Al hamdu l'Allah I rolled tape as well.
What's up with this "public atom" thing?

Pete Cofrancesco
October 24th, 2011, 06:12 AM
I had the same problem apparently Apple's recent change to Quicktime has broke compatibility with the Firestore. The current work around is to record in M2T instead of Quicktime and transcode to ProRes. Or downgrade Quicktime.

http://www.focusinfo.com/dynassets/documents/downloads/MACOSX_Supp_Anncmt_10.21.11.pdf

Dave Burckhard
October 28th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I immediately discovered, as obviously others have, that the .mov files in the FS-5 and apparently all FS-XXXX recorders can't be read by FCPX. I called VITEC immediately and, like Pete Cofrancesco indicated, they are aware of the issue. I find neither of the workarounds ideal but they are better than nothing. The Mt2 solution seems to be the better of both. I put this down to growing pains for both VITEC and Apple.

My editorial on this is that Apple should have better notified developers so they could be ready for FCPX rather than spring it on them just as they sprung FCPX on the "rest of us." I'm not upset as others are about FCPX in general (although I could go on) but I am disturbed that Apple tossed FCPX out like a grenade rather than as a systematically planned upgrade and letting folks know ahead of time what shortcomings to expect. Not doing so did little to mitigate the mass exodus and, as importantly, left developers scrambling for fixes. I continue to use FCPX and have to say I'm not only getting used to it but enjoying it. Once certain bugs are worked out (it's one of the most unstable products I have ever used even with easy to handle HDV, mpeg-2 files) it'll be great.

Dave Burckhard
PicturePoint On-line

Pete Cofrancesco
October 29th, 2011, 06:46 AM
I'm upset with Apple too. The standard is when you change a codec in a significant way you create a different codec ie DIVX1, DIVX2, MPG1, MPG2 etc. or released it such a way that you knew what the update was, and could uninstall it. This was released as a "Security update".

Also this isn't just a FCPX it effects any version of FCP or any other video editing software.

Michael Kinney
October 31st, 2011, 06:48 AM
Yeah, I got this from Focus Enhancements:

Currently, there is an issue with FS-XXX recorded files and Final Cut Pro X, and Mac OS, because of compatibility with these latest versions of Quicktime player:
Version 7.7, Release in August 2011 for Mac OS Snow Leopard, Windows 7, Vista, and XP
Version 10.1 Released in July 2011 for Mac OS 10.7 Lion
Apple released these Quicktime updates to address several important security issues and unfortunately our Quicktime wrapped HDV files no longer are compatible. We strongly suggest that you don’t run any Quicktime updaters on systems critical to video editing until this is resolved. One way to verify this problem is to note that the clips play back correctly with other players, such as VLC (VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework! (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/)), but not with Quicktime-based players. We are working with Apple on a permanent fix, but right now we only have some suggested workarounds:

- Record in the .m2t file format and convert the footage to .mov - Use MPEG Streamclip (Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows (http://www.squared5.com)) or another conversion application to convert
- Import the FS-XXX folders into Adobe Premiere Pro (CS5). Exported as an XML file, then import the XML file into FCP7 using their XML function available via File drop-down menu
- If you are not running Lion and you have Final Cut Pro 6 or 7, you may be able to downgrade your Quicktime player so your files will work. This is at your own risk of course, but many customers have had success with downgrading their Quicktime player by following the steps listed here. We suggest trying Quicktime Player Version 7.6.6 on OS 10.6 Snow Leopard

Using Pacifist to downgrade QuickTime - Digital Rebellion Blog (http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/using_pacifist_to_downgrade_quicktime.html)

If you cannot downgrade using Pacifist or you do not want to try this suggestion, you may need to contact Apple for further assistance with downgrading your Quicktime player. We will inform you via email of any changes regarding this issue.

Marty Jenoff
June 15th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Unfortunately I just came across these posts. I recently taped an event in Quicktime and I"m getting the atom message.

has anyone else found a work around?

Dave Burckhard
August 29th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Marty,

I'm assuming you know the fix by now. If not, read my latest post in the Focus Enhancements Firestore area.

Dave Burckhard