View Full Version : Infrared Video?

Ryan Spicer
August 30th, 2005, 07:27 PM
I'm working on some interesting stuff this semester involving using a live video image of a performer on a proscenium stage, analyzed with a computer running eyesweb, to generate realtime visualizations to be projected behind the performer.

My advisor and I are looking into ways to avoid the analysis quality being affected by dynamic lighting conditions, and one of the possible solutions we've decided to research is looking for a camera that captures only IR light, and illuminating the stage with IR lamps that remain at fixed intensity and geometry throughout the piece. I've googled a bit, and the cameras seem to break down into "0 Lux" security cameras that work as visible-light + IR cameras (not suitable becuase I want to ignore visible light entirely), and $20,000 heat-sensative cameras (not suitable because they cost an arm and a leg). I've also seen a few filters that claim to block visible light, leaving an IR-sensative camera with IR light only. Are these remotely effective?

Keep in mind that the captured image will only be used by a computer, which will be performing a basic difference-key, then running a series of algorithms from eyesweb on each frame, so quality isn't an extreme concern, as long as its a low-noise image. I don't mind an analog solution as long as it has rca/bnc/svideo outs so I can run it through a transcoder box.

Any thoughts you folks can offer would be greatly appreciated! I know this is rather off-topic for DVinfo, but this is the most relevant group I know of.

Cheers,
Ryan Spicer

Sean McHenry
August 30th, 2005, 07:43 PM
There are several companies making "security" gear that includes filters for various sizes of screw mounts for lenses that completly block visible light. These are meant to allow only IR to pass. They may even have modified IR cameras. I didn't bookmark the sites but I ran across this a few months ago.

Confidentially, most folks are using these IR filters for questionable means.

Google IR Filters and you shall find.

Sean McHenry

Greg Boston
August 30th, 2005, 07:57 PM
I have a night vision unit that is actually a video camera that includes an RCA video out jack. The only problem is the resolution (400x225) but it might work for your purposes.

Do a search for "Weaver NightView Digital Night Vision Scope"

-gb-