View Full Version : hm150-any in depth reviews out there?

Andrew Maclaurin
December 5th, 2011, 02:28 AM
i'm very interested in the hm150 along with the canon xf100. the thing is i can't find any real reviews of the hm150 let alone comparisons with the canon and other cameras in this class. the only opinions are andy's on this forum. does anyone know of any other reviews?

Lee Mullen
December 6th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Seems the industry is indeed too snobbish about JVC these days.

Andrew Maclaurin
December 7th, 2011, 01:34 PM
you might be right there! i can hear the tumbleweed in this thread!

Chris Hurd
December 7th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I'm always happy to publish reviews, if anybody has one to share.

Andrew Maclaurin
December 8th, 2011, 06:12 AM
cheers chris but it seems like this camera doesn't really exist. i think it is possibly a figment of my imagination.

Myles Williams
December 10th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Seems like what this camera HAS done is devalue the HM100, which if you notice has dropped in price(used) and MANY that were on ebay for a LOONG time have sold in the last 45 days(mine not included). People in the market to buy this KIND of camera are seeing HM100's going for dirt cheap and jumping on those since the 150 is not TWICE as good and you can get some 100's on ebay for half of a new 150.

Once the used 100's are bought more will buy the 150 if you ask me. Thats my opinion.

I too want to see the back to back comparison of the 150 vs the 100.

Myles

Andy Urtusuastegui
December 11th, 2011, 02:31 AM
I have both the 100 and 150. I am not a professional reviewer, but I am pretty tech savy. I too would like to see a full review. I really liked my HM100 and like the HM150 even more. JVC should have released the HM150 in April of 2010 (1 year after the HM100). That would have been a hit.

The HM150 is MUCH MUCH better as far as ergonomics, buttons, settings, menus, and recording features.

The video quality on the HM150 is slightly better, in a subtle way. The "stock" image is a little flatter, less contrast, and a little less noise in some instantces. The picture settings on the HM150 seem to make more of a difference. Cinema Gama and the color matrix adjustments are more noticable to me. I did some tests and the 1080 quality on the HM150 is a little better than the 1080 quality on the HM100 (less noise). But, we still have less than full resolution chips so the HM150 (and HM100) are not super sharp camera like other cameras. I stll think 720p is the best mode on either camera.

The HM150 is still not very good in low light, it is still not a super sharp 1080 camera, and it still uses a servo on the zoom ring so you can not get smooth zooms with the ring. (But now there is assignable zoom speed!)

Over the holidays I will try to post more samples on this forum.

I Think JVC will have to lower the price to around $2499 to get it to move. I wanted this camera now, so I spent the money. I am going to sell my HM100 for less than I hoped, but I knew this going in.

Lee Mullen
December 11th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Please can you take some photos of them side by side and post here? :)

Andrew Maclaurin
December 11th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Myles, i have to say i've been looking at buying a hm100 second hand as the prices are dropping here too.
i'm just unsure if it would be better forking out for a hm150, xf100 or another camera altogether.

my work is mainly for web (interviews, small reports and marketing videos), music docs/making ofs, events (conferences etc) and weddings. i'm really unsure if a second hand hm100 would be able to cope.

Lee Mullen
December 12th, 2011, 02:29 AM
What do you think the HM100 can't do??

Andrew Maclaurin
December 12th, 2011, 07:34 AM
jalan, i'm worried it won't handle events where i can't add light like conferences or weddings where i can only use a led spot. basically it's ability to deal with different types of lighting

Myles Williams
December 12th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I shot this with the HM100 and a lite panel medium size on camera light at 12 noon with a tarp over the car and subject. There is one shot where the sun is behind the subject and it just sucks. I couldnt get enough light in there and couldnt do another take as it was between races and the client wanted that shot, so I used it(didnt want to). None the less it does ok in some low light situations, but at night time you need some serious light. Now I have 2 "1x1's" and the 100 can be made to look "close" to the 700 ....."with some work".

My 100 is for sale too.

KPAX RACING VOLVO S60 TECHNICAL TEASER on Vimeo

Myles Williams
December 12th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I am tempted to get the 150 when my 100, if my 100 ever sells....as the form factor and mov file work flow I love. OR...I will let my 12yr old have it with the understanding that he can only use manual mode !

Rob Stowell
December 20th, 2011, 04:48 PM
"it still uses a servo on the zoom ring so you can not get smooth zooms with the ring. (But now there is assignable zoom speed!) "
How about the zoom rocker? I couldn't get a decent zoom using it, which drove me mad (it jumps between 3 speeds- and is also close to impossible to get a nice start/stop.) That and the iris control stopped me buying an HM100. I gather the iris control is much better (situated at least)- if the rocker zoom is ok, it is definitely a camera I'm interested in (though canon and panasonic both have some pretty cool options at the moment).