View Full Version : Longer QR plate mounting bolt?

Eric Aumen
December 14th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Do they make different length bolts that are still have the notch between the head and threads? I want to mounth a side bracket with a manfrotto QR plate under that, but it seems the only way to do it is to A.) drill a hole through the slot on both qr plate and side brack to account for the width of a non-notched bolt...or B.) use the adapter bolt that came with the side bracket to bolt the side bracket on. Then, bolt the QR plate to that. I tried that, but it raised the camera up another 3/4" and doesnt stay tight because of the small contact area.

Les Wilson
December 14th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Yes. I've seen them. Search on "1/4-20 mounting screw" to start. I'm not sure what you want to do is very good but sometimes you just need to try ideas out and move on from there.

Eric Aumen
December 14th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I am trying to avoid a rail system, but be able to mount my senn and zoom audio gear on camera. I rely heavily on the manfrotto video monopod, and I would like to keep things light. Here is the bracket I am talking about: SIMA VIDEO BRACKET WITH 2 FLASH MOUNTS | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIMA-VIDEO-BRACKET-2-FLASH-MOUNTS-/320742330965?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aadbb9255#ht_500wt_1156)
Maybe I would be better with a hotshoe mounted bracket, but that side bracket would give me 3 mounts including the camera hot shoe.

Chris Soucy
December 14th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Hi, Eric................

Making a bespoke notched bolt is a doddle, if you have an electric drill and a flat metal file to hand.

A drill stand or vice comes in REAL handy as well and a hacksaw too if the bolt needs shortening..

Buy your bolt - 1/4" X 20, any length you like.

Stick threaded shank in drill chuck and tighten gently, leaving about 1/4" of thread showing.

Either: put drill in drill stand and use flat thin edge of metal file to simply file off unwanted thread OR put file in vice and use ditto.

You now have a notched bolt.

Experiment to get correct length, cut bolt to suit and use file to clean up end thread.

The above said, I wouldn't recommend it with your proposed configuration, it's putting a heck of a strain on the retaining socket of the camera AND is leaving the camera perched on that narrow metal bar of the bracket, which means it's going to rock badly.

I would strongly recommend you find another solution.

A search of DVinfo will turn up all sorts of different options.

CS

Eric Aumen
December 14th, 2011, 11:44 PM
That is an awesome idea for the bolt. I also see your point about the camera support. I am going to look into other options. Thanks for the input!