View Full Version : Reel Trips & Adventures

Clint Harmon
December 22nd, 2011, 02:40 PM
Hello and thank you to everyone who sat through and watched my entry.
If you have not seen it yet here is the link:

Reel Trips & Adventures on Vimeo

Now, when the theme of this challenge was presented I immediately was excited and confident. I already had a gig booked to film Henry Waszczuk in the Bahamas for his TV show “Fishing the Flats,” and started planning on filming some extra footage and assemble an edit just for this challenge. Obviously that did not happen…

As I sat down to edit this project, I quickly got agitated and bored of the entire thing. I film and edit fishing on a daily basis and was sick and tired of it. I wanted to do something more “creative” and outside my typical daily projects. As I logged on to throw in the towel and add my name to the wall of shame (again), my girlfriend intercepted my attempt in quitting. We sat down and brainstormed an idea of a fishing show but like most fishing shows inundate the show with commercials. This allowed for the creative freedom that I desired. The idea was brought to one of my closest colleagues and he was sold. Between the three of us, we came up with nearly 20 or so of these hilariously stupid commercials.

This project was more than just a challenge for this forum, but a reawakening for me. I have gotten so caught up in the humdrums of my daily work, I had no desire to put any effort into any project (even my day in/day out work). I feel rejuvenated after this project and we are now looking at doing other projects that will keep us motivated. Thank you for giving me this opportunity and waking me up.

I had the chance to quickly throw together a blooper reel from this shoot, enjoy:

Bloopers Reel Fishing on Vimeo

Clint Harmon
December 22nd, 2011, 02:42 PM
Oh an less I forget, please tune in to Henry's shows

Fishing the Flats
Fins and Skins
Big City Fishing

Here is his website:

Fishing the Flats :: with Henry Waszczuk (http://www.fishingtheflats.com/)

Dick Mays
December 22nd, 2011, 03:19 PM
Clint,

You must watch a lot of light night TV. With all the cheezy commercials. Everything is 3 payments of $29.99. I loved the double shovel bit, the get off your butt and fly a kite, and the dating service that really does want to get you laid. But the fishing show was interesting too. And I didn't have to stay up until 4:00 am to see it all. BTW, you have the personal injury attorney schtick down pat. Well, mostly down pat. You still don't look quite smarmy enough. Fun stuff.

Simon Wood
December 22nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Oh man; this reminds me of why I gave up on cable TV in the first place!

Your ads were great, and very satirical. I can see you and your friends had great fun making them. This had me thinking about all those highly ironic spoof ads in the original Robocop movie ("I'll buy that for a dollar!").

I was actually hoping to see bit more of the fishing; but I'll catch up on that with the links you provided.

Well edited, great green-screen effects, perfect audio (how about that clean audio from Henry in that gale force wind!).

Great work, and a real contender!

Dick Mays
December 22nd, 2011, 03:39 PM
Clint,

You must watch a lot of light night TV. With all the cheezy commercials. Everything is 3 payments of $29.99. I loved the double shovel bit, the get off your butt and fly a kite, and the dating service that really does want to get you laid. But the fishing show was interesting too. And I didn't have to stay up until 4:00 am to see it all. BTW, you have the personal injury attorney schtick down pat. Well, mostly down pat. You still don't look quite smarmy enough. Fun stuff.

Chris Barcellos
December 23rd, 2011, 01:46 AM
Dick is right about you spending a lot of time watching late night TV. I know because I do the same. This was great fun. Kind of reminded me of one of the very first movies like this, "Kentucky Fried Movie". Way out there and fun.

Henry Williams
December 23rd, 2011, 06:31 AM
Well done Clint!

A really funny entry that must have taken a lot of time and effort to put together. Really made me laugh throughout although the joyous "Go Fly A Kite" ad was probably the highlight. So glad that it's also been a way to rejuvenate your enthusiasm for your work. Hope the new direction goes well and loving the blooper reel!

Henry

Marj Atkins
December 23rd, 2011, 11:08 AM
Wow Clint - Another excellent production for this challenge and another entry that had me really laughing out loud. We put up with a lot of garbage on the TV and you nailed it perfectly on the head with this one!! A very creative piece in many respects.

Clint Harmon
December 23rd, 2011, 12:53 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. I actually do not watch TV and haven't since 2006. All I have is Xbox & Netflix. Most of our reference material was found on Youtube...

Everyone I have showed this too has their own opinion on which commercial is their favorite. I for one thought the "soviet governor" was going to be the best during pre-production. Alas, after putting it together it fell way short on our expectations. The entire theme of the dating commercial was to have the impossibly long web address. I thought that was going to be boring but that turned up better than expected. I think it is a toss up between the Double Shovel and the Kite commercial.

Clint Harmon
December 23rd, 2011, 01:01 PM
Well edited, great green-screen effects, perfect audio (how about that clean audio from Henry in that gale force wind!).

If anything I feel that I have become an expert at the audio capture in high winds. Most of the shoots I go on for Henry, I am a one man crew and have come up with a good solution. It's a bit of a secret but it is part special material mini zeplin thingy, and half post. ;)

Finn-Erik Faale
December 23rd, 2011, 03:01 PM
Clint, this was a funny video with many inventions. Not a second is boring. You must have a great imagination.

Trond Saetre
December 23rd, 2011, 03:39 PM
Hi Clint,

A lot of great feedback has been said already, so I'll just say this was fun to watch!

Marc Burleigh
December 26th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Clint, loved it. Makes me miss US TV. Your sense of fun certainly shone through....

Lorinda Norton
December 31st, 2011, 12:19 PM
Wow, Clint! Of all the entries I feel like this one had the most work involved. And it paid off very well! I laughed every time the tiny segments of the fishing show got cut off for an ad. Each ad is hilarious and incredibly detailed for maximum laughs. No one mentioned the $25 mop; I thought that was one of the most clever ads. I also loved the "revelation" music with the introduction of the double shovel. You have an interesting sense of humor. :)

With all the cold we've had up north I wanted to see more of the Bahamas, which was all part of your evil plan, so I'll try to watch the shows you provided. Thanks for a great, uh, almost show!!