View Full Version : How tough is (was) your PD / VX Cam?

Mark Goodsell
March 1st, 2012, 10:33 PM
Ok, I'm obviously trying to keep the conversation going here, but we all know the legendary toughness of the VX/PD line. What story do you have that shows how rugged your cam was?

I was thinking the other day a situation I had. I've never really bumped my camera around much, but years ago I was in Hawaii shooting a waterfall. I was climbing down over rocks at the base of the water fall to get a better perspective. My daughter was pretty young at the time and somehow got in front of me and I tripped over her, and slipped off the rocks. We both ended up laying flat down in the water, face first! Guess, what? So did the VX2000. I mean, I lifted it out of the water as soon as I could but it was completely submerged for an instant or two. I'm pretty sure it would have been turned on, but I don't recall anymore. My heart sank. I quickly removed the battery.

Got back at the hotel at night and after drying it out as best I could (and having had a few hours to dry out). It turned on long enough for me to get a tape out but no picture or blue screen. Left it with the fan blowing on it all night and the A/C on to dehumidifiy the room. Next day I tried it again and BINGO! Fired right up. External mic even worked. New tape and we were off to the next adventure.

Love to hear your story...

Mark Goodsell
March 8th, 2012, 07:00 PM
What, nobody has a story to tell? I'm sure if your cam could talk there would be a few...

Don Bloom
March 8th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Well I've never dropped either my 150 or 170 but I can ssay they are well worn, well used and frankly 2 of the best all around cameras I've ever had. I still use them to this day.
I do however have them check out every year and did replace the recording head on the 170 and this year the 170 has to have the headphone jack replaced and the menu whell fixed. Why do I s[end the money? Cause 99.9% of the work I do is 4:3 SD and they are great low light cameras plus they're like an extension of my hands. I know every square inch of them and don't have to think about what I'm doing with them. My hands just go to where they're needed, be it gain, iris whatever. BTW the 150 was purchased in either 1999 or 2000, I can't remember and the 170 was purchased about 2 years after they were introduced. Great cameras.Lots of hours and they've paid for themselves many many times over. When I need HD, I rent what I need for that particular job. Saves me money and frankly since this will almost for sure be my last year doing weddings why spend the money. Next year for the corporate work I'll be doing I decide then what if anything I'll buy. So far the PD's have worked like champs for me.