View Full Version : 72mm Polarizing Filter betwwen lens and VCL-HG0872 wide angle adapter

Peter Rush
March 2nd, 2012, 03:19 AM
Hi - I use the Sony VCL-HG0872 wide angle adapter all the time (heavy but gooood!)

I really want to use a polarising filter though but not have to buy an expensive matte box. can anyone point out any issues regarding putting one between the lens of the Z1 and the VCL-HG0872 wide angle adapter?

a few tips before I buy one would be really helpful

Pete

Marcus Martell
March 18th, 2012, 05:58 PM
be aware of vignette

Rickey Brillantes
March 20th, 2012, 08:01 AM
I don't think you can put a polarizing filter in between the Z1u and your wide angle lens, being said that your using the heavy wide angle lens, the screw or bayonet mount will be to to narrow to hold the wide angle lens.

Use the ND filter of the Z1u if you want to make the sky blue.

Tom Hardwick
March 24th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Peter - you can certainly try putting a 72 mm filter between the 12x zoom and the 0.8x converter, but I guess you can't if the widie is a bayonet fit. And as Marcus says, if it's too thick you might well find you vignette the corners of the image. This may only happen with OIS on, but even so, you won't like it.

Have you got another filter that you can do a test with before you buy an expensive polarisor? If you do get one, aim to get a multi-coated one.

Why Rickey thinks you'll get blue skied from inserting the ND beats me.

tom.

Adam Gold
March 24th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Tom's right. ND cuts light evenly across the spectrum -- hence the "neutral" in its name -- and won't make your sky any bluer or change any colors. It makes things darker, but your cam will likely compensate, so you won't notice much difference other than slightly shallower DoF if your cam opens up the iris.