View Full Version : Motion and a RAID

Nate Schmidt
September 5th, 2005, 08:03 PM
I've been doing some research into setting up a RAID 0 and I want to know if, and how Motion would take advantage of it. Does anybody have any experience or knowlege they could pass on?
TIA
Nate

Rob Lohman
September 6th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Which problem are you trying to solve? I was under the impression that Motion
benefits mainly from fast (or multiple) CPU's. I could be wrong on that, however
(I'm not a Mac myself).

Boyd Ostroff
September 6th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Unless you're working with uncompressed video, I don't think Motion will benefit much from a RAID, other than loading/exporting files a bit faster maybe. Rob is pretty much right from my experience, it's not a "disk bound" program. The CPU's are important - fast dual G5's are preferable, and you want to have lots of RAM. Probably the most important thing is the graphics card however, in fact Motion won't run at all on the stock G4 graphics cards from a few years ago.

What are the specs on your system?

Nate Schmidt
September 6th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Rob and Boyd thanks for the replys. I'm running a dual 1.8 G5 with a radeon 9600 and 1.5 gigs of ram. I realize a new graphics card and more ram are in order :) and I am starting to run out of HD space so I was trying to determine if a RAID would help me at all any more than just another big external drive. I knew it probably wouldn't help much with FCP because I don't do a lot of uncompressed (I think).
Thanks again
Nate