View Full Version : Roll call for NAB2012

Chris Hurd
March 16th, 2012, 08:39 PM
NAB is coming up quick... who here is planning to attend?

Chris Medico
March 16th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I wish I could be there this year. Work calls.

Dylan Couper
March 16th, 2012, 11:29 PM
I'll be there. Once again Jim Jannard has declined my offer to juggle 6 Epics while blindfolded, so I'll probably just roam around the show still drunk from the night before while hitting on the cute girls at the... well, nevermind that last part. Anyway, staying at the Flamingo or Sapphires. Not sure which yet.

Brian Rhodes
March 17th, 2012, 03:27 AM
I will be there staying at the Bellagio

Pete Bauer
March 17th, 2012, 06:38 AM
See you there!

Jacques Mersereau
March 17th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I'm booked and staying at MGM Grand. See you on the monorail.

Jim Michael
March 17th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I'll be there M-W, going to MMB and Supermeet and walking the show floor Tuesday.

Dan Keaton
March 17th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Dear Friends,

I will be there are our Convergent Design booth in the Central Hall, near Sony.

Dean Sensui
March 17th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Not this year. Maybe next. Have fun, everyone!

Bob Hart
March 17th, 2012, 10:29 PM
I won't make it. It is a bit far and let's face it, I am not in the same league when it comes to being a competent practitioner.

Ari Presler of Silicon Imaging I understand will have a new piece of 3D production innovation to show, which people will find very, very interesting.

Alister Chapman
March 18th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I'll be there. I'm running some S-Log workshops on the Sony booth.

Shaun Roemich
March 18th, 2012, 02:38 PM
In for my third straight year... Arriving Monday morning, if all goes according to plan, staying til Wednesday.

See you there!

Jon Fairhurst
March 19th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I'll arrive Sunday and attend all day Monday with my son (a DP).

My first NAB was Dallas, 1987. Silver anniversary! :)

Ned Soltz
March 19th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Of course. Roming the floor and booth meetings with vendors.

Ned Soltz

Allan Black
March 19th, 2012, 09:43 PM
A Convention too Far .. but I'm sure like the others here, I'll be very interested to read what you folks get to see and learn.

Travel safely and have a great time.

Cheers.

Bill Davis
March 19th, 2012, 10:51 PM
I'm in.

Mon thru Thurs. at the Tropicana. (I always stay at whichever hotel is hosting the Supergroup meeting so I can stumble back to my room afterwards!)

Lorinda Norton
March 20th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Committed! (Or should be.) Monday through Wednesday.

Chris Luker
March 20th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Will be there as well!
I've won a progressive $.25 video poker jackpot three years running now...

Calvin Bellows
March 21st, 2012, 12:16 AM
Hoping to be there Monday and half of Tuesday

Allan Black
March 23rd, 2012, 01:31 AM
I'm not pushing this and won't be there but Chris and you guys might like to breakfast together
at this function. Interesting list of finalists ..

Studio Daily (http://www.studiodaily.com/prime-awards)

Have fun ..
Cheers.

Jack D. Hubbard
March 23rd, 2012, 09:41 AM
Looking at the options for high speed data tape storage.

Nigel Akam
March 26th, 2012, 05:19 AM
I'm in from Sun to Wed

Ted Ramasola
March 27th, 2012, 11:42 PM
I'll be dropping in. :)

Matt Gottshalk
March 28th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I'm there and will be at all of the different soirees as well.

Dave Allen
March 29th, 2012, 02:06 AM
I'll be there Wednesday and Thursday....and scoring a couple of 24 hour buffet pass....oh the best buffet is Caesars because they have big ass king crab legs.....not just any ordinary king crabs legs, but BIG-ASS ones.

I did see somewhere some special for the Rio Seafood buffet though at like only $28.....not sure where I saw it, but need to find it again.

I'm looking forward to talking to the Sony guys at the Sony booth so they can once again evidence that even when I find the guy they tell me to talk to, they will not know much about their product, and once again for 3 years running they will not put us as promised on their press release list so that they can avoid us givjng them FREE PUBLICITY. :(

Lee Mullen
March 29th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Wish it went to other countries.

Richard Davidson
March 29th, 2012, 09:33 AM
I will be attending the show Monday through Thursday and will be staying at the LVH. I am kinda a last minute attendee as Chris Soucy (also a DVinfo regular) and I have been working on a counter-balance correction system for tripods that we have been asked to take to NAB with very short notice.

This system will allow users like myself with light cameras to use our tripods as they were meant to, balanced with the proper weight/ camera COG. I will have a few prototypes with me at the show, so look me up and I can show you our new toy.

Monday I will be all over the show, but Tuesday I hope to be spending more time at the Vinten booth, helping people test their light cameras on Vinten support systems, using our new CB100 Counterbalance Correction system. I hope to be attending other support manufacturers stands as the opportunity arises.

We might be lucky enough to see some pics of the system in action in an upcoming review here on DVInfo. Vinten has a few new systems on show, and one of the the reviews (courtesy of Chris Soucy) should be coming out before NAB, so keep a watch if interested. Then if you want to see the real thing, find me at NAB so you can put it through its paces.

Myles Williams
April 6th, 2012, 11:12 PM
This will be my first time attending. NAB is like SEMA for the automotive aftermarket EXCEPT you get to touch and test many of the new products at NAB. I am coming from Long Beach Grand Prix so I can only be there 2 days.

Any advice for a first timer?

Mw

Bill Davis
April 7th, 2012, 06:35 PM
No matter what else you do, bring comfortable walking shoes.

It's typical to be on your feet for 8 hours pretty straight - and to cover 10 miles of walking just doing a cursory trek around all the exhibits.

Add that to the size of the Las Vegas hotels where you often have to walk hundreds and hundreds of yards just to get from you room to the bus or monorail stop - and a big show like NAB requires good footwear first and foremost.

FWIW.

Chris Soucy
April 7th, 2012, 11:25 PM
I'm not going, but my business partner Richard ( a few posts above) is, with some prototypes of the CB100.

If you want a sneak peak, try this link: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/506709-new-vinten-vision-blue5-nab.html#post1725748

Check it out at NAB.

CS

Chris Hurd
April 9th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Less than a week away... anyone else attending?

Michael Sims
April 10th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Leaving Friday for Vegas. Do a little sight seeing over the weekend and then on to the show Monday. Looking for an LED lighting system this trip.

Rob MacFarlane
April 10th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I will be in the exhibit hall Monday and Tuesday, specifically looking to put a matte box, 15mm lightweight rails, and filters on my EX1R camera.

Keen to visit AbelCine, Arri, OConnor, Schneider, and Tiffen to see how their gear plays, and also be inspecting all kinds of other interesting toys.

This will be my first time to the show, hopefully it will be fun and I will learn quite a bit in a short time frame.

Myles Williams
April 11th, 2012, 10:34 AM
your agenda is very much like mine Rob !

Rob MacFarlane
April 11th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Myles - which gear are you looking at, for which camera? Might be interesting to share ideas.

-

Alister Chapman
April 11th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I’m doing some 45 min presentations on the fundamentals of working with S-Log at NAB on the Sony Booth. The presentation covers: What is S-log, how does it work, how do I expose, record and grade it. I’m on the 35mm stage at 4.30 on Monday and 9.30 on Tuesday and Wednesday. You can also watch excerpts from my “Night of Wonders” video of the Northern Light in the Sony 4K theater.

Jon Fairhurst
April 11th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Alister,

If you become aware of some goodies publicly announced for the 4K theater, please add them to the thread here...

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/506667-pre-nab-4k-roundup.html

Thanks!

Chris Hurd
April 11th, 2012, 08:15 PM
To the earlier question about what first-timers should know
going into NAB, we have this article from 2005 -- it's a bit
long in the tooth but still very good:

Tips for attending the NAB Trade Show at DVInfo.net (http://www.dvinfo.net/article/pre_production/buyers_guides/tips-for-attending-the-nab-trade-show.html)

Can't emphasize enough the importance of comfortable
and durable footwear. As for myself, I bring two pairs of
"trade show shows" and swap 'em out daily.

Allan Black
April 11th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Very similar to a visit to a large city museum Chris, though the comparison might offend some exhibitors.

I pack a small medical kit, blister balm, bandaids, preferred headache remedy, suncream etc.
And despite the company, I try and limit the sauce each night.

Cheers.

Evan C. King
April 12th, 2012, 12:47 AM
I'm gonna be there! I'm excited this is my first NAB.

Allan Black
April 15th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Ok .. on behalf of ALL the members of dvinfo.net would all you guys puleeze get an early night, don't miss the bus on Monday
and post notes for the rest of us. Thank you and have fun.

Cheers.

Warren Kawamoto
April 15th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Last minute planning, but I'm going to see the exhibits! My first NAB was around 1993. I've been attending sporadically all these years. I look at what all the major players have to offer, but also take a peek at every booth, looking for hidden jewels. The best hidden jewels can be found with Korean or Chinese companies nobody heard of before. Sometimes they've got some very innovative and creative products/solutions.

Rob MacFarlane
April 15th, 2012, 05:19 PM
We're here (my girlfriend and I), went by NAB to get our exposition access-only badge holders, and at the hotel purchased discount tickets for Cirque du Soleil's Mystere (7pm show tonight). Tomorrow morning will be in the exhibitor hall.

Lots of equipment rigging and setup looks to be happening behind the doors the security guards keep closing.

Nice little NAB bookstore out in the 'lobby' area - looked at some books on color correction (didn't buy anything).

Looking forward to tomorrow and seeing what Arri has got going with their MMB-1 top load matte box, and then go check out the competitors: redrock micro, chrosziel, genus, oconnor, vocas, etc...

and there's a gathering tonight at something called LAVO, across the street from the Cirque show - so may stop by there on the way back to the hotel room. Lots of people here wearing NAB badges.

- rob

Greg Boston
April 15th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Well, I have returned once again this year. My arm was twisted, 'til I no longer resisted. See you guys soon .

-gb-