View Full Version : Sony NX5U firmware upgrade?

Mike Butir
April 3rd, 2012, 08:40 PM
Hello everyone,

I know that this has already been mentioned a few times already, but i was curious if anyone knew of any firmware upgrades that will be available for this camera. recently sony released upgrades for the NX70 and FS100 providing these new features to the camera:

FS100:

1. Added 50Hz recording system (PAL): 1920x1080 50p, 50i, 25p and 1280x720 50p.
2. Camera Profile (camera settings can be saved to and loaded from a memory card).
3. Additional 4x and 8x Expanded Focus magnification: (with user selectable focus area).
4. Selectable ISO or GAIN sensitivity display.
5. Selectable Focus indication in FEET or METERS (E-mount lens only).
6. Selectable Shutter indication as EXPOSURE TIME or SHUTTER ANGLE.
7. Added the following Aspect-Ratio markers: 2.35:1, 1.85:1 and 1.66:1.
8. Display ON/OFF button enables Zebra and/or Histogram overlay onto video output.
9. Compatible with the new A-Mount to E-Mount adaptor, model LA-EA2. One push Auto-IRIS and continuous 15-point, Phase-Detection Auto-Focus operation with most Alpha A-Mount lenses is available. Lens metadata is displayed onscreen and stored real-time to image file.

NX70:

1. Enhanced performance of zoom rocker operation (Selectable zoom speed).
2. Dual Recording Mode enables simultaneous HD recording to its 96GB internal memory and memory card.
3. Added 1920x1080 30p and 1280x720 60p recording modes.
4. The EXPANDED FOCUS and HISTOGRAM buttons are now assignable keys.
5. Added Last Scene Review feature.
6. The Display ON/OFF button now also controls display of the Face Detection Box onto video output.
7. Display ON/OFF optionally overlays Zebra and/or Histogram display onto video output.

You would think that sony would have provided an update with the features they left out of there production model, I would have loved to have an histogram on board! maybe this just means that sony is planning on releasing there next line camera in this family sometime in the near future and will have the features in the next generation...

Mike

Cristian Adrian Olariu
April 21st, 2012, 04:42 PM
Looks like the NX5 series has been forgotten by Sony. The newer models had firmware upgrades which enabled some useful features. This camera is overlooked. It was the sacrifice generation. It's main competitor, Pana AC160, has more features than NX5, and with its newest firmware update the gap has grown.
Can't we do anything to get Sony's attention?

Adam Gold
April 21st, 2012, 05:51 PM
Sony | Micro Site NXCAM & AVCHD (http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-nxcamsite/resource.downloads.bbsccms-assets-micro-nxcam-downloads-HXRNX5UFirmwareUpdate.shtml)

Probably not what you're looking for, but it IS an update of sorts....

Ron Evans
April 21st, 2012, 06:54 PM
That is a long time ago though.

Ron Evans

Mike Butir
April 22nd, 2012, 10:25 PM
I feel that if enough people complain to Sony, we can possibly push them to release an update. As the features that were left out, were mentioned for this model before it came out. But, what was Sony's thought process to omit them? They also advertise the NX5 as a professional camera, how can these "professional" features be left out?

Stelios Christofides
April 23rd, 2012, 06:37 AM
Maybe they are going to include these features in the New NX5....

stelios

Cristian Adrian Olariu
April 23rd, 2012, 11:35 AM
If Panasonic AC160 and Sony FS100 can have 60p by the firmware upgrade, why can't NX5? How about the ability to record simultaneously on both cards (yeah, I know, I can buy the FMU but it costs MORE than the competition in this case)? The NX5 was on purpose stripped off some features even compared to Z5. And now, the newer models like FS100 have new features added by firmware. At least some of them should be available for NX5 too. It's a good camera but it's been surpassed by competition because they had firmware updates.

Ron Evans
April 23rd, 2012, 12:07 PM
I think there is a limit to what firmware can do. If the sensors are not good enough or the DSP not fast enough then there will be a limit. I like my NX5U and would be happy to pay for a hardware upgrade to give new sensors, 60P, 10bit 422 output, dual record to the cards etc. I have the FMU128 and use that most of the time. The overall controls and position are great for me so have no requests there. Might still be cheaper than a new camera !!!

Ron Evans

Mike Butir
April 23rd, 2012, 11:24 PM
I make use of just about all of the functionality this camera offers. The only main feature that i would feel would benefit me the most, would be the use of a "Histogram" As far as 1080 60P goes, i feel that the there are some limitations that will prevent that from even working on the chipset this camera has. However, who knows, maybe Sony will surprise us! The ability to record simultaneously i feel is not that hard to achieve, as it is possible with the FMU, that shouldn't be too much to ask for with HDSD cards. All in all i certainly think the camera is outstanding for the price it is offered at, not to mention the picture quality certainly is stunning! Maybe even an update to 35mb/s would be nice too! (without having to go the route of buying an external recorder for higher bit rate)

Mauricio Rodriguez Campos
April 25th, 2012, 10:21 PM
If Panasonic AC160 and Sony FS100 can have 60p by the firmware upgrade, why can't NX5? How about the ability to record simultaneously on both cards (yeah, I know, I can buy the FMU but it costs MORE than the competition in this case)? The NX5 was on purpose stripped off some features even compared to Z5. And now, the newer models like FS100 have new features added by firmware. At least some of them should be available for NX5 too. It's a good camera but it's been surpassed by competition because they had firmware updates.

Cristian, I saw your videos on Vimeo, excellent.
Please could you tell us what are the profile pictures you use?
Thank you very much.

Cristian Adrian Olariu
April 26th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks, Mauricio.
Mainly I use this profile:

black level: master black -15
gamma: cinematone1
black gamma: range middle, level -5
knee mode: manual (92,5 0)
color mode: type itu level8
color level: 2
color phase: 0
color depth: red -1
wb shift: lbcc
detail l level +2 (manual, -2, type 3, highlight -2)
skintone off

But I further modify the colors in post.
I use this profile only in good light, outside. Indoors I use the default profile.

Mikel Arturo
April 28th, 2012, 09:21 AM
I have an AX-2000. It's a shame, but it can't record 720p format, no 25p and no 50p.

It's the same machine as NX-5.

I know that AX-2000 is a "domestic" cam, but I'm not demanding dual card record, SDI output, time code sync or "professional" upgrade.
Simple 720p 50p recording. No more.

SONY, please, activate 720p record on AX-2000 cams. It's an easy firmware update.

I'm very near to change for first time to Panasonic, AG-160A in this case.
I'm very sad, our cams has been forgotten by Sony. :(

Adam Gold
April 28th, 2012, 01:43 PM
But you knew this about the AX when you bought it and decided these features were not worth the extra cost. Whenever we buy anything all of us weigh the costs vs benefits, price vs performance and make our decisions. It is perfectly reasonable to save money buying a model with fewer capabilities and features. But not to then complain that the cheaper model lacks the features of the more expensive one. You can look at two otherwise identical sports cars and choose the hardtop over the convertible because it's $5,000 cheaper, but you can't then complain that the cheaper car isn't a convertible. You made that choice. It's not reasonable to assume that they must now come back and make your hardtop a convertible.

In the states, the initial release prices of the AX and the NX were so close that most people said it was foolish to buy the consumer version. My understanding is that in Europe the price difference was much greater, so you derived the benefit of the lower price in exchange for fewer features, and that was a decision you made.

I've owned many cams over the years and usually bought the lower level models to save money. But with my most recent batch, I realized the models I had lacked certain capabilities I (didn't originally think I) needed, so I sold them and moved up to the pro version. But the responsibility for those decisions was mine, both initially and subsequently. In the interim I saved a lot of money and got a lot of good use out of the consumer versions.

Ron Evans
April 28th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I agree with Adam. The differences are the marketing/ buying choice. When I bought my NX5U in Canada the price difference to the AX2000 was about $200. The NX5U had a lot more features, came with a bigger battery and a mic. Much more in fact than the price difference. I also got the FMU128 since in the beginning it too was a specially at about half price. They came packaged with Vegas 9 !! I hadn't upgraded my Vegas 8 so the inclusion almost paid for the FMU128 or would have been almost the price difference to the AX2000 !! You can see why I wondered why anyone at the time would buy an AX2000.

I am not expecting an upgrade now for the NX5U or AX2000 but I think Sony will be missing the boat if they do not bring out a model to compete with the new Panasonic and JVC models that are clearly aimed at the NX5U and AX2000 with better performance since they are at least 2 years newer. The differentiators would be new sensors, 60P, full 4:2:2 10bit etc as we have mentioned before. None of which is beyond Sony to produce in the same form factor. It already has all the buttons, connectors etc, that is why all the others have copied.

Ron Evans.

Mikel Arturo
May 1st, 2012, 01:50 PM
"But you knew this about the AX when you bought it and decided these features were not worth the extra cost."

Yes, of course. I know that the NX5 have:

- SDI output, FMU recording, PAL/NTSC recording, PCM audio (this are the KEY differences), and the fist two are hardware differences.
- Then there are a lot of minor differences: black/color viewfinder, macro focus, knee & color depth, time code, GPS, etc, etc.
- In the box you get a Mic and a big battery.

OK, the NX-5 is a superior cam than AX-2000... but why cut the 720p recording mode?

I'm not demanding nothing more than activate 720p recording mode, a thing that don't will convert an AX-2000 to a more expensive cam. In fact, I don't understand why they cut the 720p recording mode. It was a silly decision and now, 3 years after, near to release a subtitute, this colud be an act of good trade policy to its customers.

Again, I do not think that penalizes those who bought the NX-5. These machines are virtually identical and the main differences (SDI-OUT, ​​PCM recording, FMU) will never be added because they are hardware.

Nor do I want the most professional firmware updates (which could be done without problems, but it would be really unfair).
There are domestic cameras with higher recording capabilities ... from a couple of years. Panasonic and Sony recorded in 1080p 50p a year ago at least.

The AX-2000 is not a "domestic" cam (is a tapeless Z5), but is treated as if it were.

What is the price to enable 720p recording 3 years later? 500$, 1.000$, 1.500$... or nothing because SONY earn much more than money ... A loyal customer who buys SONY (monitors, Hi-8 cams, DV cams, DV players, lot of batteries, computers, etc.) for over 20 years and is fully drawn happy with his AX-2000 except that little upgrade.

Mike Butir
May 1st, 2012, 03:25 PM
unfortunately there will not be a firmware update for this camera. i got in touch with sony last week and there is no word of any update coming.. They are probably working on the next NX cam and simply feel there is no point.. Maybe theres a way to extract firmware from the Z5 to bring a histogram...? Or possibly someone can extract firmware from the NX5 for 720p recording on an AX-2000.... haha

Adam Gold
May 1st, 2012, 05:56 PM
The AX-2000 is not a "domestic" cam (is a tapeless Z5), but is treated as if it were.No, it is a tapeless FX1000 with the nice addition of XLRs. The NX5 is the tapeless Z5. I don't know if I would call either of the lower level cams a domestic cam but neither are they pro models like their more expensive brethren.

The reason the NX5 has 720p and the AX doesn't is obvious: so that those who needed this mode would have to spend more to buy the more expensive cam. This is done for Sony's benefit, not yours. There is no business reason at all why Sony would add this feature, and no chance they will. These always have been, and always will be, marketing, not design or engineering, decisions.

Every company in every business thinks this way (see: Apple, Disney). I used to fool myself into thinking that companies liked me and wanted me to like them in return. Now I know their only goal is to remove as much money from my pockets as is humanly possible without me hating them and vowing never to do business with them ever again, especially when it came time to buy a new product in their category. For each person this line is different. Obviously Sony has crossed this line with you. To date, they and Disney have not yet crossed this line with me, while Apple has.

Rob Cantwell
May 2nd, 2012, 03:51 AM
i think its a another case of wants or needs.

and on another note brand loyalty went out the door for me many years ago, I think Gateway was the last company i was suckered in by ;-)

Serggio Lamas
August 23rd, 2012, 09:57 AM
Thanks, Mauricio.
Mainly I use this profile:

black level: master black -15
gamma: cinematone1
black gamma: range middle, level -5
knee mode: manual (92,5 0)
color mode: type itu level8
color level: 2
color phase: 0
color depth: red -1
wb shift: lbcc
detail l level +2 (manual, -2, type 3, highlight -2)
skintone off

But I further modify the colors in post.
I use this profile only in good light, outside. Indoors I use the default profile.
Nice profile for day light with sharpness and crisp pic ,looking for night picture profile with the some sharpness and crisp picture,any one have to post the profile?

Giampaolo Carbonara
September 29th, 2012, 04:11 AM
unfortunately there will not be a firmware update for this camera. i got in touch with sony last week and there is no word of any update coming.. They are probably working on the next NX cam and simply feel there is no point.. Maybe theres a way to extract firmware from the Z5 to bring a histogram...? Or possibly someone can extract firmware from the NX5 for 720p recording on an AX-2000.... haha

Looking at the same price range it seems other producers are taking more care at the customers wishes.... Press Releases (http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/sales_o/news_info/news111116/111116.html)
Where are you Sony???

Ron Evans
September 29th, 2012, 07:00 AM
I would like AVCHD 2.0 on my NX5U but I expect the old sensors may not be up to the task. The new sensors in the PMW150 are likely the ones needed and that means a new camera. Sony will have to contend with the Panasonic AG-AC90 soon which does most of the functions at half the cost and is something I will look at when it comes out.

Ron Evans

Rob Cantwell
November 20th, 2012, 07:22 AM
I see that in PAL land theres a firmware update for the HXR-NX 5 E

Software : HXR-NX5E/NX5M : Firmware V4.00 : Software/Drivers : Sony Professional (http://www.sony.ie/pro/lang/en/ie/support/software/SET_BPE-SS-03H5/10)

is this worth installing?

Serggio Lamas
November 21st, 2012, 01:06 PM
Videoguys Australia Blog: SONY HXR-NX5 V4.00 Firware release (http://videoguys-australia.blogspot.gr/2012/10/sony-hxr-nx5-v400-firware-release.html)

Ron Evans
November 21st, 2012, 03:07 PM
Don't understand this update. I bought my NX5U when they first came out. Updated to ver 2 to solve the FMU128 issue and from day one had 720P60 in my menus and have used from day one too. Is this an update for the AX2000 ?

Ron Evans

Justin Hewitt
November 23rd, 2012, 03:51 AM
the link from the Video Guys .. just says
"Folder is empty"

Rob Cantwell
November 24th, 2012, 12:20 PM
ah! this is for the HXR-NX5E (European model) sorry for the confusion!
I saw it on the Irish Sony support website theres a Firmware version 4 available for it, thats flagged as a 'NEW FEATURE: '720/50p HQ' for PAL version is selectable at the REC FORMAT on the MENU' I checked my NX5 and it already has this feature.

there was also a message about a potential error effecting HXR-NX5 it states 'Immediately after power-ON, the camera may vibrate and the error message E:62:10 may appear. The lens then shifts downwards, and the image vanishes gradually at the edges. If this symptom occurs, contact Sony for appropriate servicing.'
these are the serial numbers at risk;
HXR-NX5C 310,001–310,052
HXR-NX5E 210,001–214,380
HXR-NX5M 210,001–210,360
HXR-NX5N 410,001–413,120
HXR-NX5P 510,001–512,450
HXR-NX5U 110,001–115,970
thankfully mine isn't included in these blocks

Stelios Christofides
December 2nd, 2012, 06:23 AM
Just successfully updated my firmware to V4. I was so nervous during the process, because you never know what can go wrong.

stelios

Ron Evans
December 2nd, 2012, 08:48 AM
What did it add that you didn't have before?

Ron Evans

Stelios Christofides
December 3rd, 2012, 07:21 AM
Ron here is what is added:

NEW FEATURE:
'720/50p HQ' for PAL version is selectable at the REC FORMAT on the MENU.

stelios

Ron Evans
December 3rd, 2012, 08:13 AM
Didn't you have that before? My NX5U NTSC had 720 P60 from the day I got it several years ago. That is why I was puzzled by the firmware announcement. Did the PAL version not have that 720P50 from the start? Or are there different versions of the NX5U some that are more like the AX2000 but with the NX5 connections so would not have the 720P feature. Firmware has not been announced in NA presumably because all the NA models already had 720P60. I know of at least one person in UK with a NX5 that has 720P50 in his menus so he too is a little puzzled as to what the firmware is about.

Ron Evans

Stelios Christofides
December 4th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Ron
Mine never had that option before the upgrade. I bought the camera January this year.

stelios

Rob Cantwell
December 11th, 2012, 05:29 AM
I notice that there was an older update of this as well, Firmware V2.00 issued 17 may 2010. Applies to HXR-NX5E, HXR-NX5M.
I presume some models were shipped without this update, apparently on more than one ocassion.

Ron Evans
December 11th, 2012, 06:43 AM
v2 solved the problem of the NX5 locking up when both the FMU128 and SD cards were used at the same time. I had that problem with my NX5U as well as the lens backfocus defect !!! Lens was replaced by Sony and I updated to V2 when it was released. It has worked without a problem since. My NX5U had 720P60 from the day I got it. Mine was one of the first in Canada in early 2010.

Ron Evans

Giampaolo Carbonara
December 20th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Guys, i'm just thinking whether there might be potentials in performing a reverse engineering of the camera firmware. I believe on an hardware standpoint of view that, a lot of features like hystogram, slow shutter, shot transition, interval recording might be implemented with a firmware upgrade only .
Just looking at what the guys from the Magic lantern project have been able to perform to the 5D, this makes me really dream that one day our beloved camera will turn in a real monster.
Who knows, perhaps one day Sony will make all our dreams to come true....

Giampaolo

Serggio Lamas
December 23rd, 2012, 09:26 AM
I would like το make update my nx5e put where is the reset button in the cam, and how to stop the USB connection,i have this message in screen follow the instructions on the computer, any help to make the update i have the pdf put stay in screen follow the instructions on the computer

Giampaolo Carbonara
December 23rd, 2012, 01:16 PM
Sergio, i think it depends on which OS are you running with. I performed the update to v4.0 with a Win7 machine and i was almost scared to death when i could not find how to disconnect the usb device.
BTW, in my opinion, having the additional 720 p50 (HQ) does not change your life so drammatically...