View Full Version : cheap doc camera solution

Richard Andrews
April 17th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I have started to make a doc series following a group of motorbike racers and have tried (and failed!) to use a 5dMk2,24-70l,Rode,Tascam DR-100 rig. Due to the nature of the subject I am missing stuff all the time as I fumble with ND filters, forgetting to hit record on both devices etc...It is basically just not practical for THIS project. So I am after a 2nd hand camera. This is for web only, I am not bothered about media type and have a budget of £1000 max. My first thoughts was the SONY HVR-A1E as these can be picked up now for around £850, but could even go SD as there are some bargains to be had nowadays? Any suggestions?

Regards

Buba Kastorski
April 18th, 2012, 06:16 AM
I would get 35mm adapter , heere is a cheap one (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Letus35-Letus-Extreme-35mm-Lens-Nikon-Adapter-w-82mm-Ring-/330718005897?pt=US_Camera_Camcorder_Accessory_Bundles&hash=item4d00544a89), and any Canon Camcorder like HV 20/30/40 , you can get a wole setup within your budget, don't go SD, you'll get much better image from HD, even for the web delivery

Paul R Johnson
April 18th, 2012, 07:12 AM
If he's having trouble with the other system, adding a letus isn't making things much simpler, because focus will be a whole new ballgame, the camera much more unwieldy especially if it has to be hand held. I'd have thought for this project that a cheapish HD handicap style product would be most suitable. DSLR means careful setup, placement, shot consideration and rehearsal for anything like this. Once you move away from just the DSLR, things get complicated quickly. Something that can do the job quickly with less fuss sounds great.

Richard Andrews
April 18th, 2012, 07:16 AM
yep, the biggest problem is keeping focus and exposure, impossible to do quick with the 5D when you are going from one light extreme to another.

I've just been looking at the Canon HV40. Looks like just the ticket with an upgraded mic, I think I will be in business.

Richard Andrews
April 18th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Iam now thinking about the Panasonic HDC SD900 £585 new.

C.S. Michael
April 18th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Go for the SD900. I have a TM700 (predecessor to the 900 model) and it's brilliant. No reason you can't shoot a doc on one.