View Full Version : Don't worry, it's just for the day

Chris Hurd
April 22nd, 2012, 10:25 PM
Everything returns to normal in 24 hours or so.

Chris Soucy
April 22nd, 2012, 10:51 PM
Geez, I hope so.

Damn near gave me a heart attack, thought I'd finally got hacked.

Also need to get some stronger glasses, wow that print has got smaller.

CS

Chris Soucy
April 22nd, 2012, 10:55 PM
Everything returns to normal in 24 hours or so.

Ummm, does that mean that somehow, after 6 decades, I'll do the same? Scary thought.

Normal? Wow, that's going to be a trip, and no mistake. The missus WILL be impressed.

CS

Chris Hurd
April 22nd, 2012, 11:11 PM
Heh. Everything meaning, everything here.

Normal meaning what you're normally used to here.

Lee Mullen
April 23rd, 2012, 01:31 AM
What is the occasion Chris?

Andy Wilkinson
April 23rd, 2012, 02:23 AM
Well it's St George's Day here in England so that must be it ;-) Glad this particular "site enhancement" is only for 24hrs...

Colin McDonald
April 23rd, 2012, 03:14 AM
Glad you can all see it as well. I was beginning to wonder whether that tub of herbs I bought from Tesco yesterday really was just parsley.

Chris Hurd
April 23rd, 2012, 08:07 AM
What is the occasion Chris?

Explained at the bottom of the page, between the ads.

Buba Kastorski
April 23rd, 2012, 10:50 AM
Glad you can all see it as well. I was beginning to wonder whether that tub of herbs I bought from Tesco yesterday really was just parsley.
oh man, that's priceless!

Chris Hurd
May 6th, 2012, 10:16 PM
One more time -- just for 24 hours.

This is the big occasion: Adobe Creative Suite 6 Now Available (http://www.dvinfo.net/news/adobe-creative-suite-6-now-available.html)

Ian Stark
May 7th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Ha! I missed this first time round so you can imagine my disturbed feeling of time displacement when I read the previous posts in this thread dated April 23rd!

Mike Beckett
May 7th, 2012, 04:17 AM
You're just taunting me Chris. My pre-order for Premiere Pro CS6 still says "11th May" on it.

I can't wait!

Ryan Jones
May 7th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Am I the only one that kind of likes it?

Even though CS6 makes me love and hate Adobe in equal measures...

Creative Cloud = good

Creative Cloud Pricing = bad

Why a download product has to be dearer in Australian than in the US when our dollar is currently stronger I have no idea... and not by a little bit either.

Les Wilson
May 7th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Anyone else find the irony in Adobe arrogantly making us all use a window size for DVinfo that Adobe chooses and not one that oh, well, I don't know, THE USER CHOOSES. So typical of why I minimize my use of Adobe software.

Chris Hurd
May 7th, 2012, 07:01 AM
What's your screen size, Les?

Sixteen hours from now it'll be gone anyway.

Les Wilson
May 7th, 2012, 07:13 AM
1920x1280. I have many tabs and multiple windows. It's the way I work. Adobe is only letting DVinfo use about 60% of the width. My point is that it's so typical of Adobe. And MSFT, Lotus and others to think they know what the user wants or should want. I would stop using DVinfo if it were permanent.

Chris Hurd
May 7th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Just curious, Les -- assume the Adobe branding is gone (which
it will be after tonight) -- I have a question for you about the
way you use the forum. I understand the majority of folks prefer
a variable width that scales to fit whatever window size they
want, but do you normally read the forum at full monitor width?

For me it's easier to read text if it's in a narrow column. But I
realize that for images, etc. wider is better.

Mike Beckett
May 7th, 2012, 08:41 AM
I use 1920x1080... and I almost always resize down the DVinfo (and other) website windows so I can read the text in narrower columns. I quite like the current width, it saves a bit of dragging and resizing!

Pete Bauer
May 7th, 2012, 08:57 AM
I use a mix of full screen and manually sized windows depending on the device and what else I may be doing. I like being able to have auto-word wrapping based on the window width. But I won't miss it so much for today's big promo as to get my knickers in a twist about it.

Eric Olson
May 7th, 2012, 09:52 AM
assume the Adobe branding is gone (which it will be after tonight)

When advertising affects the usability of the forum it has the opposite effect that advertising is supposed to have.

Les Wilson
May 8th, 2012, 05:14 AM
I took the day off from DVinfo and logged off. At 7am EST, the Tuesday, the branding is still there after logging on.

I use several manually sized Safari and Firefox browser windows (see attached). The one in which I browse DVinfo has a couple tabs with DVinfo. All of them are landscape. The wide windows means many posts are displayed without the need for scrolling. The wide width doesn't affect my reading and I like that DVinfo doesn't have advertising on the left and right. Hope this helps.

Bob Hart
May 8th, 2012, 10:40 PM
We get dvinfo for free. For that I am very grateful. The revenue for this resource has to come from somewhere.

I am just grateful we are not plagued by those vexing obscuring wait-awhile pop-ups and slide-overs we find on news and web provider portals.

Do what you need to do Chris. That is fine by me.

Chris Hurd
May 13th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks Bob,

I doubt we'll ever do anything like this again in the foreseeable future, but I sure appreciate your kind remarks.

Bob Hart
May 14th, 2012, 01:11 AM
When it comes to product placement, I'm sure a background repeating pattern light pastel wallpaper with logo, brands, web address in white lettering of a major sponsor would not hurt or break too many hearts. I imagine it to replace the present light blue areas inside the box frames. My personal preference would be for the repeat pattern and text to be at 30 to 45 degrees relative to the message texts and in a ten times larger white font so as not to cause reading problems for those of us who scanread. Large white over the existing blue pastel would be fine by me.

Causing it to be continuous and uninterrupted across the areas now occupied by several light blue backdrop panels which customise to each message box size would be a big technical challenge.