View Full Version : Timeline/Sequence Report timecode discrepancy

Jay Silver
May 16th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Short version:

The timecode listed in a MC5 sequence report doesn't match the timecode in the sequence itself.

Long version:

I use Media Composer 5 to cut together animatics (and later, completed footage) for animated TV episodes. A 12 minute episode (24fps) has in the neighbourhood of 120-150 shots and I label these individually using the title tool on a separate video track (V3) - the idea being to slot the completed animation (V2) over the storyboard panels of the animatic layer (V1) yet under the shot number layer (V3).

Each of the shot number titles runs the entire length of the given shot (which may, on the animatic track below, consist of multiple storyboard panels) and so indicate how long each shot should be. Until now, the method of extracting a shot length (in frames) for animation was to select each title, mark the beginning and end and then write down the duration on a shot number list.

I had hoped that a Sequence Report would automatically give me the IN/OUT points of all my titles and with some spreadsheet calculation save me a lot of work but the timecodes I get don't jive with the sequence itself. Instead of timecodes spread over a 12 minutes span I get closer to 4 minutes and each shot is considerably shorter than in reality (the average is 2.51 times shorter, but that's not consistent).

Is there something I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated.