View Full Version : New DVC?

Henry Williams
May 23rd, 2012, 06:20 AM
Hello lovely people. The sun has finally started shining in Englaland which leads me to the conclusion that it might be time for another DVC?

Marc Burleigh
May 26th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Now that could be a good idea. I thought the DVCs here had fallen into oblivion.

Victor Nguyen
May 26th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I'm new here...what's DVC?

Marc Burleigh
May 27th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Welcome Victor.

DVCs are when the denizens of this virtual cave come grunting out into the sunlight, their shiny toys dragged behind them. Once in the diurnal blaze that illuminates their faces into silly grins, they dream.... of hobgoblins on green screens, of malevolent villains backlit, of snappy dialogue cut to staccato rhythms, of epic stories that could rock the torrentsphere if only a studio injected money and pro actors into them. It's an event where discussions of forward foci, steadycam arm fatigue woes and lens comparisons are dropped in favour of actually DOING IT: creating your own pet story and making it reality. A totem pole of Vimeo links is then built and the forum denizens sit around its warming glow and hum and chant and sway, praising each offering to the video gods (and suggesting in softer whispers what could have been done better).

In short, it's the DV (Digital Video) Challenge, a collegial and friendly little competition where people here write, cast, shoot, edit and present little short films around a set theme. The rules can be found on this vintage site: The DV Challenge (http://thedvchallenge.blogspot.com/)
Don't be intimidated. It essentially gathers hobbyists and usually, despite a gush of "I'm in" declarations of intentions, some half a dozen films are made in time. It has, however, ebbed in recent months and I'm not sure there will be critical mass this time for a new one to be called. We'll see.

In any case, if the siren does blare its seductive call, dive on in, beware the Evil Fairy of Procrastination, and should ye actually complete a short film, sit back and bask in the knowledge that your closet full of cameras and associated stuff actually got tested -- as did, more importantly, your ability to snatch a dream from your head and give it life....

Henry Williams
May 28th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Hey Marc,

That description brought a tear to my eye. Would love to do another comp but guess we shall have to see whether the collective will is there to go once more unto the breach...

Lorinda Norton
May 28th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Well...I'm worn out just reading Marc's description! ;)

Dylan and I sit back and wait until we hear the call of the wild...then we fire up the Challenge again if there's enough interest. So...is there???

Henry Williams
May 29th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Here's hoping :) Will try and get my brother onboard again too!

Jeremy Doyle
May 29th, 2012, 12:16 PM
As much as I'd like to say "count me in", but between work and work, I am swamped until the fall.

Andris Krastins
May 30th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I'm currently exhausted after a year of filming material for a docu (now final editing touches), but I'd really like to do something more artistic.

Honestly - I'll sign up if I like the theme. I need to do something for me.

Cole Seidl
May 31st, 2012, 11:14 PM
I just finished the first cut of my first feature....
And I need a distraction or my head will explode.

So yes. Dear lord count me in.

Chris Barcellos
June 1st, 2012, 01:19 AM
As I said over at UWOl, retirement is looming and I need something fun to get into...

Simon Wood
June 1st, 2012, 03:43 AM
I'm interested.

Mark Ahrens
June 1st, 2012, 05:12 AM
I'm interested. Summer doldrums are getting my gear dusty.

Gerald OConnor
June 1st, 2012, 08:17 AM
I would be interested

Marc Burleigh
June 3rd, 2012, 05:57 AM
Hell yeah, I'm in, sight unseen. Cast and crew standing by for the theme, skippers.

Lorinda Norton
June 3rd, 2012, 10:16 AM
Haven't heard back from Dylan...gonna rattle his cage again. :)

Jay Kavi
June 4th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I'm totally in.

Andrew Hood
June 5th, 2012, 06:22 AM
I should be good after next week. Maybe one of these days I'll get to include snow in a short film - timing just never seems to work out.

Dick Mays
June 6th, 2012, 08:08 PM
I got a 48 hour coming up, after I recover from that, I'm in!

Joseph Tran
June 11th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I'm actually home for large parts of this summer, and I'm itching for a project! Please count me in as well!

Cole Seidl
June 12th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Arnold Schwarzenegger - Do it! - YouTube

Lorinda Norton
June 13th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Ha ha! Okay, okay!!! Still trying to hammer out some details. Dylan has flown off the radar for a bit but we'll get something in the works soon!

Marc Burleigh
June 19th, 2012, 06:22 AM
We gotta get a new Dylan Radar. Maybe the DR MkIII? Something that'll pick him up as he screams across the toposphere and simultaneously communicates with him, telling him "DVC.... DVC... Come in, Maverick.... DVC..."

Dylan Couper
June 20th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I'm here, I'm here... just plotting behind the scenes. :)

Chris Barcellos
June 20th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Just hold off until July 6, 2012, so I won't get my UWOL theme confuse with my DVC theme...

Joseph Tran
June 21st, 2012, 12:15 AM
To follow up on what Cole said...

Do it! Do it! Do it! - YouTube

Lol... the Arnold one made my day.

Evan Bourcier
June 21st, 2012, 12:21 PM
I'd be interested, although I'd probably get destroyed haha.

Dick Mays
June 25th, 2012, 12:00 PM
While we are waiting for Dylan and Lorinda to "Do it," here's something for my DVC friends.

A link to my latest 48 hour film. (warning, some mildly offensive language...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7aqClF5uvI

Marc Burleigh
June 30th, 2012, 01:37 AM
Hey Dylan, how is the thinking going? We're ready to go, and have a couple of choice locations that we can access in the next 10 days if they fit with the theme.....

Andris Krastins
June 30th, 2012, 11:52 AM
I got a notice that there's a Facebook DVC page with some small update: The DV Challenge | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-DV-Challenge/157658700920299)

p.s. Thanks for the invite, whomever sent it, but I'm not on FB.

Marc Burleigh
July 2nd, 2012, 04:33 AM
There's a Facebook page? Who knew. Seems to be a bit more info there than here. FWIW, this was posted there yesterday:

"Looks like it's going to be another week or so before the sign-up begins. We're sprucing things up a bit in order to advertise the heck out of this one.

Yeah...it's that big.

Be patient! It'll be worth the wait!"

Lorinda Norton
July 2nd, 2012, 08:57 AM
Ah...so someone IS watching Facebook! :) Thanks, Marc, I was getting ready to post pretty much that same thing here.

'Tis true; hoping that new opportunities and locations will be available when the challenge does start--looking like early August but I'm waiting for confirmation on the exact dates. As the Facebook comment said, be patient--it'll be worth the wait...especially for the winner!

By the way, Twitter folks can also find The DV Challenge there. We need to bring in more competition for you guys, so help us bring new members to DV Info Net and get them in on the fun and free DV Challenge!!

Jonathan Jones
July 2nd, 2012, 12:10 PM
when the challenge does start--looking like early August but I'm waiting for confirmation on the exact dates.

Something around that time might be really good timing for me.....hoping anyway. I'm really itching to get back on the horse, so to speak. I've been almost completely inactive on this site for a very long time, (protracted family health crisis took precedence), and I haven't been involved in a DVC project in many years. But I'm bustin' my butt to get ahead of life a little bit during July so I can re-aquaint myself with the DVi family I love so much and get back to doing something I find fun and exciting.

Lorinda Norton
July 6th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Hey Jon! It's been forever. Hoping you can squeeze in this round.

Okay, everyone, there's a sign up coming very soon--possibly tomorrow! While you wait, and during the sign-up period, if any of you who have submitted a film in any challenge want to help us spruce up the Web site and Facebook, we'd appreciate it! We're looking for stills and/or very short clips from any film you want to include. Doesn't matter how old; as a matter of fact, I would love to remember entries from the first DV Challenge!

So dig into your archives and mail us clips to thedvchallenge@gmail.com. Be sure and include your name, the title of the film, and which DVC. Thank you!!!

Chris Barcellos
July 6th, 2012, 11:01 PM
So I can give links to Vimeo and or Youtube for most of films.. are you just looking for clips and stills or will links help too ?

Lorinda Norton
July 7th, 2012, 12:46 AM
...will links help too ?
Why not? That's the easy part and we may find a place for them. Thanks! :)

Evan Bourcier
July 7th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Is there going to be a theme or something?

Andris Krastins
July 7th, 2012, 02:07 PM
There's usually a theme.

Lorinda Norton
July 7th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Sign up will be posted on MONDAY. Still hammering out a thing or two but, as I said earlier, it'll be worth the wait!

A sneak peek at the timeframe: We are running this one throughout the month of August. So write it down and plan to make a prize-winning short film that'll knock our socks off!!!

Dick Mays
July 8th, 2012, 04:58 PM
If we get a month long contest, how about taking on a longer short film. Say 10 minutes instead of 3 or 5?

Lorinda Norton
July 9th, 2012, 06:19 PM
I'll discuss your idea with the boss, Dick.

Hey everyone, sorry it is taking me so long to get the sign-up thread posted. A storm took out my 'Net so I'm sitting in my car in town. Posting right away, I hope!