View Full Version : NEX with heatsink?

Rafael Lopes
June 20th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Hi guys,

I've read that some people have been using RAM heatsinks to cool down their NEX cameras (5, 5N, 7, etc). Has anyone here tried this solution and successfuly overcame the overheating issue with the NEX cameras?

8 Copper RAM Heatsink Heat Spreader SD/DDR SDRAM DDR2 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Copper-RAM-Heatsink-Heat-Spreader-SD-DDR-SDRAM-DDR2-/390397625276?pt=US_CPU_Fans_Heatsinks&hash=item5ae58303bc#ht_3883wt_1396)

Bill Pryor
June 27th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I have an NEX-7 and haven't experienced any heating problems. When I first got it I let it run for over 25 minutes. It was sitting down flat on a tabletop, and the warning light came on. After it went off, I put the camera on a tripod, opened the LCD and no more issues. Under normal use it's never heated up. But if yours does, that might be a good idea.

Thomas Wong
July 4th, 2012, 02:55 AM
i bought a 5v CPU fan and wire it to a USB connector, then powered it from a USB battery bar
It will cool it down

Dan Tolbertson
July 4th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I tried the heatsinks and it did nothing.

Galen Rath
July 6th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Is it true that 50MBPS Sony memory sticks run cooler than Class 10 SD cards?

Was thinking also of buying an AC adapter on EBAY, hooking up the battery adapter part to an external battery to eliminate heat from the battery.

Rafael Lopes
August 7th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Check this out, guys. This guys is using a battery powered ram fan with good results:

Sony NEX-5n/NEX-7/VG-20 news and reviews roundup… | sonyalpharumors (http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-nex-5nnex-7vg-20-news-and-reviews-roundup/)

Dave Blackhurst
August 7th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Keep in mind that ambient temperature is the villian - cameras don't "sweat", so the lowest temp air a fan can blow across the hot parts is ambient air temp, which may or may not be of much help in hot climates! Hot is still hot if you aren't using some form of active cooling other than blowing hot air over the surface...