View Full Version : Help finding a replacement part (Long RedRock Micro 1/4-20 Screw)

Iker Riera
June 29th, 2012, 09:44 PM
The RedRock Micro Shouldermount comes with a set of various screws of varying sizes. One of them is a long 1/4-20 screw, about 1.5 inches long. It's the skinny long one in this pic:

http://www.redrockmicro.com/static/images/cat/med/3-200-0021_med.jpg

I need to get a couple of these by themselves but RedRock only sells the entire set seen in the pic and it costs about $45-$50 with the shipping included and i can't justify paying that just to get the one screw i really need.

Anyone knows the part number or know where i might be able to order it by itself?

Any help would be appreaciated.

Chris Soucy
June 29th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Is that really a screw?

I can make out four definite screws on the left, the other six items standing look more like some, well, actually, they don't look like anything I've ever seen before.

Is it a screw in a nut maybe?

I ask as if all you need is a couple of bog standard 1/4" X 20 screws, your local hardware stores should be able to supply.

CS

Iker Riera
June 29th, 2012, 11:10 PM
yeah it's a long tripod screw, think like the screws that come with Manfrotto plates but with the unthreaded segment much longer.

They're like that because they're used to go through the shouldermount and a rod clamp so they need the extra lenght to be able to cover that space.

Chris Soucy
June 30th, 2012, 01:04 AM
Well, if they're really screws, you could make some yourself with a bit of handy equipment.

You'll need a vice or a drill stand (complete with drill), a metal file with a serated flat thin edge and a hack saw.

If you have the vice and a drill, buy some bog standard 1/4" X 20 screws longer than you need.

Put the screw into the chuck of the drill, threaded end first, leaving enough exposed to give you the "waisted" bit required. Mark the extent of the "waisted" bit with a marker of some sort.

If using the vice, put the file into the vice with the narrow flat edge upwards and simply fire up the drill and run the screw back and forth along the file untill you have the "waist" you want.

If using the drill stand, fire up the drill and run the file back and forth against the rotating screw till you have ditto as above.

Once you have the screws to the dimensions required, cut them to length by putting the excess threaded end into the vice and going for it with the hack saw.

It's not pretty, but it works. I've had to do it numerous times when working on assorted video gear that requires odd 1/4" x 20 screws.

The last set I did worked out at 50 cents a pop, though in all fairness, I did have the equipment already on hand.

If you don't, it's probably cheaper to buy from the manufacturer.

CS

Bob Hart
June 30th, 2012, 01:53 AM
If you trim a screw with a hacksaw and dress the cut-end flat, clean and chamfered with a fine file, screw one of more nuts on first so that after dressing the cut end, you can condition the thread on the screw by screwing the nuts off over the new work. - makes life so much easier.

Chris Soucy
June 30th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Well said, Bob.

My mistake, I should have mentioned it, thank you.

It's something I always do.

CS

Iker Riera
June 30th, 2012, 01:17 PM
someone on another site gave me a few link to grangier.com where they sell very similar screws to the one i need. I'll see if i can find it, if not i guess it will be time for a little diy.